• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Ivermectin

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
I've just bought some of this from Petmeds @ £22.43 for the 10ml bottle. I'm going to weigh the piggies as I normally do on a Saturday and give them the recommended dose for their weight, but my question is that the bottle says discard after 3 months of opening, this seems so wasteful, is it really ineffective after 3 months of use?

How often should I repeat the treatment (I haven't seen anything on any of the piggies, but Mario always seems to be scratching)

Thanks again for help

Mandy

Abi_nurse

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
If thats what it says then i would dischard it unfortunatly. Medications do get inactivated. What is the active ingredient in the solution?

Different people will mite treat or not, it depends on personal preferance. I think (but hopefully someone will know better) that you can do it around about every 3 months like worming.

x

CiaraPatricia

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Just wondering, is it a spot on, injectable or oral or what it is?

Suzygpr

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Have you completed the full course of treatment - weekly for 3 weeks? A preventative treatment is one dose every three months.

If you have given the full treatment and he is still scratching it could well be from the mites decomposing on his skin - this can cause irritation so a shampoo will probably help.

If his condition doesn't improve then a vet visit would be wise to determine what the cause is.

Suzy x

Status
Not open for further replies.