• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Jeddy Belly Has A Cyst :(

Status
Not open for further replies.

Beckit

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My poor Jedward hasn't been well this week, this was her on Monday, when I got home from work. She'd managed to make her front and belly soaking wet without wee and I still have no idea how, so I wrapped her in a towel and (don't laugh) popped her in the washing basket so she could sit in the kitchen with me while I did all the chores that evening...
10941141_875207259209360_4850004587738217767_n.jpg

I was singing and talking to her which perked her up a bit and since she's been in a similar state before I have Metacam on standby at home because the issues normally stem from pain. I started giving her that and she perked up a little bit but she still wasn't eating a whole lot... So on Thursday night the syringe came out...
10411975_876679152395504_2715331885169820871_n.jpg

Which led to sulking...
10922875_876696892393730_1677941754988700081_n.jpg

And although she improved a tiny bit she's still not eating right and isn't improving much so I had her taken to the vets today and the little lump I thought I felt last night is apparently most likely to be an ovarian cyst and I should just keep giving her the Metacam and syringe feeding her to make sure she has some food in her and doesn't lose too much weight.

Anyway, I just thought you guys would enjoy the sulking... She does it a lot but at least THIS time she has a reason for it. I'll post more pics as she starts to get better too, if you like.

Oh bless her, my bumble went through similar last summer, her ovarian cysts had caused her to be incontinent but she had an emergency spay and is absolutely fine now :) healing vibes for Jeddy

aww bless her. :love::love:
My Ellie due to her older age had HCG hormone injections instead of a spay for her ovarian cyst because of her recurrent UTI's & bleeding. @Beckit I'll send you the link if you would like it?
She was rather miserable at its worst, so no wonder your little beauty is not her usual self :(
Healing vibes to your girly.

From the girls & I :nod: xx

I now have more information, mum took her for me as I had overtime at work this week. Perfect timing Jedward... She's currently gnashing and dribbling a lot because she had her teeth filed ever so slightly in case that was why she wasn't eating, apparently the vet said her teeth were very good but where she's not been eating lately they wanted to be on the safe side. I've run out of Metacam and my vets are closed tomorrow so going to try and get some through another one in the morning, whatever the cost I will find a way. Poor Beany's just very sad. I'm currently mushing some Burgess to syringe feed her some tea time before bed.

I'm also sleeping in the living room tonight so I'm close by since she seems to find that comforting when she's dribbling even if I'm just in the room.

@GPTV as this is the first time she's ever had anything other than general pain (I think she may have mild arthritis as she pines when its cold, her back legs click when she stretches, the vets have never found anything else wrong with her before and normally Metacam does the trick) I'm going to play it by ear with the vet as they think it should just go down as long as we don't overdo it with drugs, ops, etc... If they mention spaying I'll ask about the hormones though as that sounds a lot less dangerous for my little Booboo and I'm EVER SO protective of her. Thank you for the head's up!

I now have more information, mum took her for me as I had overtime at work this week. Perfect timing Jedward... She's currently gnashing and dribbling a lot because she had her teeth filed ever so slightly in case that was why she wasn't eating, apparently the vet said her teeth were very good but where she's not been eating lately they wanted to be on the safe side. I've run out of Metacam and my vets are closed tomorrow so going to try and get some through another one in the morning, whatever the cost I will find a way. Poor Beany's just very sad. I'm currently mushing some Burgess to syringe feed her some tea time before bed.

I'm also sleeping in the living room tonight so I'm close by since she seems to find that comforting when she's dribbling even if I'm just in the room.

@GPTV as this is the first time she's ever had anything other than general pain (I think she may have mild arthritis as she pines when its cold, her back legs click when she stretches, the vets have never found anything else wrong with her before and normally Metacam does the trick) I'm going to play it by ear with the vet as they think it should just go down as long as we don't overdo it with drugs, ops, etc... If they mention spaying I'll ask about the hormones though as that sounds a lot less dangerous for my little Booboo and I'm EVER SO protective of her. Thank you for the head's up!

Why do they always do that? We get overtime & they think it should be spent on them! :whistle:

Do you have a snugglesafe pad to keep them warm? its a microwaveable heat pad 6mins in the microwave & about 8hrs of warmth. Ranges between £12 - £25 amazon often sells them for £14ish. they're a godsend for mine.
Some furball babies the course of HCG injections don't seem to have any effect on, but Ellie it worked wonders with :tu:
less invasive & stressful than surgery to try first though:roll:
PM me & i'll happily give you any info i can help with & i'll tag some helpful ovarian cyst posters for you.

Will she eat odd strands of coarse hay if you hand feed her, to help keep her teeth in shape? I wonder if she may have an abcess brewing if her teeth are generally good though? abscesses are painful & make guineas not want to eat & maybe dribble sometimes.
:D @furryfriends Excellent Adventure Sanctuary may have some ideas with teeth/feeding problems as she's the dental guru of the forum :clap:

good luck & speedy recovery to your gorgeous girl. xx

Last edited:
The vet said it was normal for her to dribble after having her teeth filed and couldn't see or feel anything wrong with her jaw, she's stopped now, she just seems very tired. I couldn't get much into her in the way of food last night because she dribbled so much but I'm going to try syringe feeding again in a minute. Just waiting for P@H to open to see if I can get her some more Metacam before Tuesday to help with the pain from the cyst.

@GPTV I don't have a heat pad but I left our heater on last night and left her towel in her cage so she could get comfy and not be soaking.

The vet said it was normal for her to dribble after having her teeth filed and couldn't see or feel anything wrong with her jaw, she's stopped now, she just seems very tired. I couldn't get much into her in the way of food last night because she dribbled so much but I'm going to try syringe feeding again in a minute. Just waiting for P@H to open to see if I can get her some more Metacam before Tuesday to help with the pain from the cyst.

@GPTV I don't have a heat pad but I left our heater on last night and left her towel in her cage so she could get comfy and not be soaking.
Dribbling after dental work is certainly not the norm. I deal with dental piggies all the time and I have never had a piggy dribble after dental work. Have had a lot do so before though. Glad it's now stopped and hopefully you can start to get a reasonable amount of food into her.

Just as I was about to get up and prepare her some syringe food she made a squeaking noise and collapsed. I took her out and held her while we called the emergency vet and my mum but it was minutes before she passed in my arms. The emergency vet said when we got her there that there was nothing I could have done to save her and that the most likely thing that happened was the cyst bursting. Mum's taken the cage out of my flat so I don't have to look at it and the emergency vet was kind enough not to charge me the consult and she's being cremated. I plan on commissioning a piece of art in her honour as ashes tend to freak me out but I want something here.

I loved her more than the world and now my world is broken. I'm so sorry I couldn't help her, So so sorry.

Oh, so very sorry for your loss. You mustn't feel too bad. You did everything you could to help her get better. She had a long and happy life with you, and her passing was not too stressful. You are a very caring Piggy Mum. She's on the Bridge now, young again and pain-free.

Aww I'm so sorry to hear this :(
Run free at the bridge &RIP little Jedward. You did all you could -big hug from the girls &I. Xx

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back