• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Jerking/Rocking Motion?

Eryan

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi all,

I was wondering if any of you could help me understand what I'm seeing my girls do. I've only seen them do it once each and with no apparent causation either time. Clover did it first only a few days after we got her, about two months ago, she was standing perfectly fine and then all the sudden she kind of started moving in a front to back motion, pointing her nose out and then pulling it back in, it wasn't very fast and she only did it until I intervened. And now only a few minutes ago I caught Pixie doing the exact same thing in her pigloo, I watched for a second or two, got worried, picked up her house, she then stopped jerking/rocking and relocated to another place to hide. She's now fine, asking for food and annoying her sister, per usual.

What's going on with them? I know this has only happened twice and it doesn't seem to do any apparent harm, but I just want to make sure this isn't something to be terribly worried about. It's not like she was gasping for air or taking deep breaths - she was just standing there doing it for maybe 4 seconds, her breathing is perfectly fine. She's not swaying when she walks and she's not lethargic at all.

The best way I can describe it is how a cat will begin to move its body when it retches? Like something is possibly being worked up the throat. Yet, following both occurrences the girls have been fine. No gagging or anything.

Should I be worried? Have you seen your pigs do this?

- thank you!

Jesse's pigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It might very well be the fact that something got caught and they were trying to dislodge it. Obviously, piggies like rabbits etc cannot vomit so if a bit of hay or food or even a hair was to get stuck somewhere you might find they ‘cough’ which can look as you describe and is sometimes accompanied by a sort of sound as tho they’re attempting to clear their throat. My boys hav done it and it scares me every time. I’m always on stand by to help them if needed.

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
Sorry - I can’t quite envisage what you saw. Were they near each other when it happened? I’m wondering if it was a dominance gesture. If you can upload video to a third party site eg YouTube or Facebook you can share the link here and we can take a look for you.

Eryan

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Sorry - I can’t quite envisage what you saw. Were they near each other when it happened? I’m wondering if it was a dominance gesture. If you can upload video to a third party site eg YouTube or Facebook you can share the link here and we can take a look for you.
Pixie was alone in her house and Clover was a bit away sleeping, so I don't believe it was a dominance gesture. Unfortunately like I said above, this has only happened twice in my entire time owning them and so I wasn't really at the ready with a camera.

I think @Jesse's pigs is probably on to something though, it may have been some food lodged in her throat that she was trying to get out, although she wasn't making any noise like Jesse described.

Jesse's pigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Pixie was alone in her house and Clover was a bit away sleeping, so I don't believe it was a dominance gesture. Unfortunately like I said above, this has only happened twice in my entire time owning them and so I wasn't really at the ready with a camera.

I think @Jesse's pigs is probably on to something though, it may have been some food lodged in her throat that she was trying to get out, although she wasn't making any noise like Jesse described.
If my boys do it any time soon I’ll try record it and show you so you can see what you think. Only other thing I can think of is hiccups? But they are more of a body pop and it usually lasts for longer than a few seconds then stops

Eryan

New Born Pup
Reaction score
If my boys do it any time soon I’ll try record it and show you so you can see what you think. Only other thing I can think of is hiccups? But they are more of a body pop and it usually lasts for longer than a few seconds then stops
Oh yes, please! That would be so helpful!

As for hiccups though, I've seen my girls have those before and this doesn't seem to be the same thing. Either way, I'll keep an eye on them!