• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Jethro has diarrhoea

Status
Not open for further replies.

piggiewiggie

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Is anybody about? as Jethro has diarrhoea. I have him in a large box away from boris with hay and dried food, but I don't know what else to do, Ive tried to clean him up with baby wipes. Its smelly runny diarrhoea, he lives with another skinny guinea pig called Boris who fingers crossed seems ok. All hes eaten in the last 24 hours is carrot dried food and hay. As usual these things happen in the early hours so if anyone is around and has advice then please help. thanks xx

Hey,

I just came across this link: http://www.guinealynx.info/diarrhea.html

It might be a little helpful. Basically it says try to give him lots of hay and make sure he is hydrated.

If he is not drinking you may want to syringe him some water. This may seem counterintuitive but you don't want him to get dehydrated!

Other than that you most likely need to get him to his vet asap.

Sorry if this doesn't help much. I will think get well thoughts for him!

when my pigs get diarrhea, it's usually cos they've overeaten.drunk so I put them n a 24hr dry food diet. If you feel there's no reason why he should have diarrhea, then a trip to the vets is most probably the best idea. In the meantime, hay and pellets only, keep him warm, a bit of RnR and lots of cuddles.
Is he behaving as normal or does he look lethargic/all fluffed up in a ball?

i think i would give hay and water only for a day, then hay pellets and water and maybe some probiotic?

Hope your boy ok xx

Thanks for the advice. Have just checked and his poops have taken on form again, thank goodness. But I'm going to continue giving him just hay, pellets etc...
I will take him to the vets if it gets bad again and will update if it worsens...
thank you xxxxx

I'm glad to hear he's having solid droppings for now. I think you're right and it's probably best to keep him on a dry food diet for a few days with plenty of water to keep him hydrated. Do you have vitamin C for his water or vC-rich nuggets or something? He might need some if he's not getting veggies for a couple of days.

Fingers crossed it was just a case of too much veg/not enough dry food :)

I hope Jethro continues to do well Laura, it is typical it happens in the middle of the night!

Ditto to the above advice, dry diet for at least 1-2 days, Vit C (given directly to pig, not in water bottles), and a probiotic. When reintroducing veggies, do so only one at a time. :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back