• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Jinx got a new cage today!

Guinepigmom

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Jinx is a single boar, (he doesn’t have cagemates but he can hear the other guinea pigs I have him is separated for other reasons)
his other cage was really small, his new cages which was ordered months ago, finally arrived. As soon as I put him in the cage he started popcorning
it was so sweet!

Jinx is a single boar, (he doesn’t have cagemates but he can hear the other guinea pigs I have him is separated for other reasons)
his other cage was really small, his new cages which was ordered months ago, finally arrived. As soon as I put him in the cage he started popcorning
it was so sweet!
Lucky boy :)

Hi and welcome. We would love to see photos of your piggies.

Is he not able to live next door to your other piggies? And will you attempt to get him a friend?

More space = happy piggy 😁

Ah that’s lovely you are jinx are clearly very happy ! 🥰

Hi and welcome. We would love to see photos of your piggies.

Is he not able to live next door to your other piggies? And will you attempt to get him a friend?

More space = happy piggy 😁
he is living right by them the cage bars are touching I am trying to get him a friend but he seems like a happy piggy right now and money is a little tight because of covid. Jinx is the one in my profile picture and I’ll try to get photos of the other pigs!

You’re welcome to start a thread 😉 are the other two boars as well?

You’re welcome to start a thread 😉 are the other two boars as well?
No they aren’t boars we have also have had them for longer and they gang up on him when they are in the cage together, we have had him in the cage for weeks at a time and they always avoid him and you can just sense that he is sad. I am trying to get him another boar though. (By ganging up on him I mean they block him from his food bowl and hides I have no idea what they are doing if you know then please tell me)

A friend might be just what he needs but you would have to ensure he and the new friend could have a play date to see if they can bond. A rescue centre would be able to help with that.

A friend might be just what he needs but you would have to ensure he and the new friend could have a play date to see if they can bond. A rescue centre would be able to help with that.
I also forgot to add that he gets floor time with the other guineas. I sure will try that though! Thanks :D

I also forgot to add that he gets floor time with the other guineas. I sure will try that though! Thanks :D
I was gonna mention to try let them interact in an open space so they feel as if they have somewhere to run.

When you introduced them did you do it on neutral ground or did you just put him in with them?

If you’ve decided they don’t live together then they can’t have floor time with them at all.

:agr:
If you just put him in their cage without doing neutral territory introductions then they will see him as an invader.
It may simply be that they don’t want another piggy in their pair.

He must not be having floor time with the other guinea pigs. Any piggies who are not bonded must not have physical, contact. Each time you put them in the same space together it is a bonding session, they start to set up their relationship and then you separate them and that results in stress. Then when you put them back together they start the process all over again. Piggies do not do these kind of play dates. Try they have to be permanently bonded or permanently kept apart.

I note you say you are trying to get him another boar. That would not be a good idea. As he is neutered, he will need to live with another sow.
As you already have sows in the house and your boar has had access to the sows, he will not bond with another boar. The smell of sows alone will cause fights between two boars in who live together. The fact that your boar has been around sows and had physical contact with them will likely prevent him from accepting another boar in any event

Please don’t do a play date.
Guinea pigs don’t work that way.
The advice @Piggies&buns has given is very good.

When you introduced them did you do it on neutral ground or did you just put him in with them?

If you’ve decided they don’t live together then they can’t have floor time with them at all.
I did it on the ground, away from their cage because I didn’t want them to get territorial (I have no idea if guinea pigs can be) they have started to mellow towards him now and I will soon be put them in the same cage (combine my Midwest habitats)

:agr:
If you just put him in their cage without doing neutral territory introductions then they will see him as an invader.
It may simply be that they don’t want another piggy in their pair.

He must not be having floor time with the other guinea pigs. Any piggies who are not bonded must not have physical, contact. Each time you put them in the same space together it is a bonding session, they start to set up their relationship and then you separate them and that results in stress. Then when you put them back together they start the process all over again. Piggies do not do these kind of play dates. Try they have to be permanently bonded or permanently kept apart.

I note you say you are trying to get him another boar. That would not be a good idea. As he is neutered, he will need to live with another sow.
As you already have sows in the house and your boar has had access to the sows, he will not bond with another boar. The smell of sows alone will cause fights between two boars in who live together. The fact that your boar has been around sows and had physical contact with them will likely prevent him from accepting another boar in any event
Thank you, but he is going to live with them as they have bonded with him and accept him into their cage, floor time was only done 2 days ago when they stopped teeth chattering everytime he was close.

Back