Jr Farm Mountain Meadow Hay - Reviews?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flutterby

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
Has anyone used the above Hay? I currently use HayforPets Ings Hay, but by weight and price the JR farm hay is better value for money. Before I order a sample I wanted to know if anyone who had used it had any views, good or bad?

Thanks

Flutterby

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
Thank you. To be honest, I didn't know they did a Hay at all. It was only through Zooplus that I found it and it's good value for the weight, but obviously no good if the hay is rubbish.

Critter

Reaction score
I ordered a large bad over a year ago. It had a high proportion of wild plants in the one I ordered and without knowing whether or not these were healthy for the pigs I didn't get another. I spent a lot of time sifting through it....

Flutterby

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
Hmm, that wouldn't be useful at all. I presume it's a high percentage of wastage then?

Critter

Reaction score
Hmm, that wouldn't be useful at all. I presume it's a high percentage of wastage then?
Well, it was for my particular batch, but I do appreciate that every so often hay can have stray bits in that you wouldn't want. It's just unfortunate that I couldn't identify the many plants in there to make an informed decision on whether they were harmful or not, but even if it was herbage I have read they shouldn't have too much of it. Some of the plants in there looked like dried buttercups, and I know that they are a no-go and slightly poisonous.

Flutterby

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
Yeah, it doesn't sound promising at all. I know what you mean about the hay, i've found some random things in mine when I used ot have horses! The JR Hay has got mixed reviews online too. Hmm...

7squeakers.

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
:D I have not used JR Farm Mountain Meadow hay. But if you are looking for an alternative hay, try Burns Welsh Meadow hay from the Hay Experts. £3.35 for 1 kg bags.
I have not found anything in it that shouldn't be there. I ordered 6 bags in late May and, even with 7 pigs, I still have about 2 kg left. It has got good reviews on-line too.

Flutterby

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
Thanks @7squeakers. I'm not actually looking for a replacement, if you get what I mean. I'm happy with my Ings, but thought if the JR Hay was just as good that I could get more for my money :) I will have a look at the one you suggested though, always good to know what else is out there!

7squeakers.

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
@Flutterby , I must admit that my lot took a while to really get into this Welsh hay. They prefer Ings, too. I will be ordering more Ings when the Welsh hay is all finished. As with everything, it's good to have a change now and then.

Status
Not open for further replies.