• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Jumping Guinea pigs?

KatTheCat

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So, I have had two guinea pigs, and one has passed away, so we bought the remaining one a new friend. They are about 8 weeks, so quite young. The new piggy has settled really well, but when I put them together in the cage, the old one was bouncing around the cage. Is this normal?

That behaviour is called popcorning! Which means they’re very happy, it truly is a wonderful sight x

Aw you have a popcorning piggy! What a lovely thing to witness. Mine are too old to popcorn now and I miss seeing it.

So, I have had two guinea pigs, and one has passed away, so we bought the remaining one a new friend. They are about 8 weeks, so quite young. The new piggy has settled really well, but when I put them together in the cage, the old one was bouncing around the cage. Is this normal?

Hi and welcome!

We call it rather descriptively 'popcorning'. It is a a sign of happiness and joie de vivre.
You can find videos of 'popcorning' and 'zoomies' in this guide here: Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

You may also find these guides here helpful:
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Understanding Prey Animal Instincts, Guinea Pig Whispering And Cuddling Tips

Lots more really helpful information from boar care to learning what is normal and what not, a long term balanced diet etc. via this link here: Getting Started - New Owners' Most Helpful Guides

Back