• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Jumping Piggie

Jo83

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello again
Just wondering if anyone is able to help- 1 of my boars George (9mths) has started jumping & kicks out when I stroke his back end, I tend to stay away from the area as I know he doesn’t like it but he’s long haired & is not letting me brush there, I manage a little but he seems to get quite distressed so I don’t like to push it. Is this just a behavioural thing as I know other pigs often mount the rump so is he seeing this as a dominance thing or I was worried it could be mites? Is there anything else I should be looking out for? Thanks

:agr: My long haired boy does the same thing - he simply doesn’t like it and I know how tricky it can make hair cutting! What I have found though is that he doesn’t do it if he feels enclosed, so either with my arm around him or a towel. It does make cutting trickier as you’re negotiating an obstacle but he seems to feel much more secure and relaxed about the whole thing

They don’t like being touched on their behind and will generally try and drop kick you. Perhaps take him out the cage and put some edible delights in front of him while you brush him. You should also keep the hair trim.
An Illustrated Guide to Hair Cutting
The above guide gives advice on what to do with skittish piggies and piggies that don't like their hair being cut.

:agr: My long haired boy does the same thing - he simply doesn’t like it and I know how tricky it can make hair cutting! What I have found though is that he doesn’t do it if he feels enclosed, so either with my arm around him or a towel. It does make cutting trickier as you’re negotiating an obstacle but he seems to feel much more secure and relaxed about the whole thing

Fab thanks I’ll try this as he’s usually just on my lap on a towel but very open so I’ll give this a go 👍🏼

Ive just noticed tiny black flecks in George’s fur around his back end so I’m guessing this would suggest mites? He does seem overly sensitive at the moment so vets appt booked for tomorrow

Back