• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Just been spayed & making crackling sound

Guineapig lover

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Poor peach 🍑 was spayed today as she had two large cysts! The vet said it was complicated and she was under the aesthetic for quite a long time. She was making a cracking noise when I picked her up, which the vet told me about and she’s due to go back in tomorrow morning to get it checked out again. Anyone know what causes this sound it. Is very worrying. Hope she makes it through the night. She’s looking very sad for herself. I’ve managed to get a handful of lettuce and 2ml of diluted pellets in her so far. She doesn’t like the emergency food. But she won’t eat hay or drink wster☹Do U think I should get up in Night to feed her? The vet said not to give her any metacam till 11am tomorrow but I’m tempted to give her some before bedtime.

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Was she given an injection hence no pain meds until tomorrow? Do you know what time it was given to her and the dosage? I don’t know about that but asking so those with more experience can perhaps help you with that.

As she isn’t eating you will have to wake regularly and feed her so she doesn’t lose weight. What food did you get to give her? And when you say she doesn’t like it, what does she do exactly? Have you tried putting it in a bowl or on a spoon?
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Poor peach 🍑 was spayed today as she had two large cysts! The vet said it was complicated and she was under the aesthetic for quite a long time. She was making a cracking noise when I picked her up, which the vet told me about and she’s due to go back in tomorrow morning to get it checked out again. Anyone know what causes this sound it. Is very worrying. Hope she makes it through the night. She’s looking very sad for herself. I’ve managed to get a handful of lettuce and 2ml of diluted pellets in her so far. She doesn’t like the emergency food. But she won’t eat hay or drink wster☹Do U think I should get up in Night to feed her? The vet said not to give her any metacam till 11am tomorrow but I’m tempted to give her some before bedtime.
Hi!

Crackling is not quite uncommon in the wake of a procedure under GA. It should hopefully disappear within a day or two. There is a slight obstruction in the airways, likely from a tiny amount of fluid having dribbled down the wrong way during the op.

Please check on her during the night and feed her. If she is not feeling like eating at all, then she will need feeding every two hours during the day and at least once or twice during the night. Place some fresh hay and a little fresh herbs, cucumber or her favourite veg near her.
You can take her with you in the bedroom if you wish to (including water and syringe feed) so it is easier for you to keep an eye on her.

PLEASE do NOT give any metacam on spec before the operation cocktail, of which metacam is part of, has worn off. Your vet has good reason to tell you when you can give more. Until then you need to hang in there unfortunately. Hopefully she will pick up again. She would not have come home if she hadn't eaten a little coming round from her op.

Here is more information:
Tips For Post-operative Care
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
Emergency, Crisis and Bridging Care until a Vet Appointment

All the best!

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
I wouldn't give any additional pain relief without consulting your vet. Likelihood is she had a high dose for the operation

Guineapig lover

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I’ll leave the meta cam alone! It just sounded so horrid was a bit worried. I’ll get up in the night then to feed. Gosh thought the kids were bad enough waking me up. Appreciate the support.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Thanks guys, I’ll leave the meta cam alone! It just sounded so horrid was a bit worried. I’ll get up in the night then to feed. Gosh thought the kids were bad enough waking me up. Appreciate the support.
You can always feed a little, try some fresh grass or herbs to test the appetite (it is sometimes triggered by a little syringe feed first if the problem is not too bad) and then finish off with more syringe feeding as necessary. Offer as much water as she will take. If your girl is not eating at all, you are aiming for ideally 40-60 ml in 24 hours or at least as close as you can get. With a piggy totally off their food, every ml is unfortunately a battle, but one worth fighting.
If the appetite is picking up, then 60-90 ml in 24 hours is your aim. A healthy piggy in their prime is piling in the equivalent of about 120 ml in a day. You can find more practical tips and information in the guide links.

Guineapig lover

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Good news peach made it through the night. And she’s been prescribed some antibiotics just in case she gets a chest infection. She’s been eating lettuce and mushed up pellets. But still not keen on hay so Theyve given me fibreplex for her.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Good news peach made it through the night. And she’s been prescribed some antibiotics just in case she gets a chest infection. She’s been eating lettuce and mushed up pellets. But still not keen on hay so Theyve given me fibreplex for her.
Just hang in there; she will hopefully feel better with every passing day. I call the first day post-op 'hangover day' because the operation cocktail has worn off and the body is feeling very sore. It takes 2-3 days for the body to settle after a major operation and the healing process going in full swing. You have to get her through that with your support care. The operation scar should be fully knitted within 10-14 days; once the healing process gets going, the faster metabolism is on your side! ;)