Just One Thing After Another...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Liane

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I've been having a six-month long nightmare with my piggies :( They just keep getting ill! I've pretty much been doing one treatment or another for six months, and frequently giving three lots of medications at once! My savings have been completely wiped out and my tax rebate won't last much longer, especially as we've got another vet visit today :td:

It started when Nellie developed a UTI, which cleared up, but then came back with a vengeance a few months later, ultimately resulting in her passing after a month of treatment and hand-feeding. Shortly after, River very suddenly became ill and died, we then got her test results which confirmed leukaemia. Around the same time, Elma and Clara developed conjunctivitis, and poor Elma didn't have any old conjunctivitis, she had a highly aggressive form that spread to her lymph system and required Zithromax.

Elma's eyes had been clear for about a week and she was just finishing off her antibiotics when I noticed Elphie was displaying the same symptoms, so I got her an appointment with our local vet (it was Sunday) and in the meantime she developed very mild diarrhoea.

Elphie started eye drops and baytril, and within a day Glinda had conjunctivitis as well, so she started drops, too. Elphie's eyes are clear now, but Glinda's are being a bit stubborn so I suspect she'll need antibiotics. I initially thought that Elphie's tummy upset was due to too many veggies, but each time I get her poops to a good quality and try to reintroduce veggies, it comes straight back. She's worryingly small now, too, as she was small to begin with!

And NOW I've discovered Glinda's hair is thinning on her tummy and legs, and a bit on her back. I'm not sure if she's barbering herself (she did have one scab on one leg which might suggest she's been biting herself) or if it's hormonal or a deficiency or what, but hopefully we'll get answers today.

AND Elphie has a little pea-sized lump on her back, which is easy spotted as it has a bald patch above it! No idea what this could be.

Sorry for the long-winded post but I'm just so stressed with so many poorly piggies - I don't know how sanctuaries do it! You have my upmost respect! :))

Galaxy&nibbles

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I'm so sorry you are going through so much at the moment, I cant help but I hope someone else can soon. And I hope your piggies get well soon too

Critter

Reaction score
I'm so sorry you are having these issues. Sometimes it does all come at once and it's a real challenge in money and on the heart.
I wish I could advise you, but all I can do is hope that things clear up soon for your house-hold. The fur loss might be mites, but as you say, hopefully this will soon be confirmed. Treatment for mites, if indeed it's the case, is not expensive (as vet treatment goes) and should be a simple coarse of injections, however I do appreciate that everything is expensive when you've had your savings wiped out!
:hug:

Liane

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
It's just so stressful, being constantly worried and wondering if it's something I'm doing wrong :( I completely forgot to mention as well that River had an operation during that time, too, so you can imagine the costs! The other week it cost me over £200 in 24 hours. I've just finished university and my undergrad job, and I thought I'd be okay for a bit with my savings and tax rebate, I thought 'great, I won't have the added stress of worrying about money while I look for another job' - oh, how wrong I was! :))

Clarey008

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sounds like really bad luck, has the vet been able to give you any advice, apart from just treating them?

Liane

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Sounds like really bad luck, has the vet been able to give you any advice, apart from just treating them?
I don't think there's really much advice to give, seeing as most of the illnesses are unrelated. I was surprised that Elphie got conjunctivitis, less so when Glinda did as she lives with Elph. Thankfully, it doesn't appear to have spread further, but I think I'll keep them separated for a further week after they're 'all clear'.

Kty356

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi
Sorry to hear your bad luck, I'm a newbie to all this but have you considered separating them ( so they can still see each other) so stop the spread or re infection of conjunctivitis? For a short time.
If you think one of your piggies had a food Intolerance you could maybe go right back to basics and start with one food at a time and add one new veggie each week to see if you notice what is giving her upset tummy.
Sorry not much help
Katie x

Liane

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi
Sorry to hear your bad luck, I'm a newbie to all this but have you considered separating them ( so they can still see each other) so stop the spread or re infection of conjunctivitis? For a short time.
If you think one of your piggies had a food Intolerance you could maybe go right back to basics and start with one food at a time and add one new veggie each week to see if you notice what is giving her upset tummy.
Sorry not much help
Katie x
They're already separated - separate hutches and runs, and I wash my hands between handling :)

I'll try the food thing - it's odd though, how it came out of the blue! We tried kiwi a few weeks ago but she was fine afterwards, and that's the only new food she's tried lately.

Flutterby

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
*huge hugs* I know exactly where you are coming from. Since Christmas I've been back and forth to the vets with multiple things, I've lost 5 pigs this year too. It's awful! I really hope thing start looking up for you soon x

Liane

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
*huge hugs* I know exactly where you are coming from. Since Christmas I've been back and forth to the vets with multiple things, I've lost 5 pigs this year too. It's awful! I really hope thing start looking up for you soon x
How awful, I can't imagine losing five in one year :( I've lost six over the course of my uni degree and that was hard enough, but in one year? *hugs*

Status
Not open for further replies.