• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

COVID-19 Just wondering what the rest of the world thinks...

Blod gets my vote any day.

Back to face masks - I’ve worn my pretty @teddymouse mask when I’ve had to.
On the train, at the hospital and at the hairdresser.
If we have to wear them in all shops or other places where people gather inside I will.
My glasses steam up and after a while breathing gets harder but I would rather deal with mild discomfort than Covid-19

I wish it was more like the UK here, definitely not all fluffy and caring people! My husband saw a heated argument between a customer and store manager over wearing a mask yesterday, he hung around in case things went down lol. It ended with the customer storming out saying the store is communist. The political divide here is insane, no one can just agree to disagree and be civil. My neighbors in the four houses across the street are a father and 3 sisters. Two sisters are very obnoxious Trump supporters, they have signs in their yard that say Trump Proud, enormous flags flying that say Trump 2020, they even have life size cardboard cutouts of him that they put outside their house sometimes! The other sister hates Trump and they haven’t spoke in years and she lives between the Trump ones! The father just sees them separately and says he can’t do anything, it’s so sad and really insane.
Luckily we have a democrat governor that has really taken things seriously, so Kentucky hasn’t done too bad with the virus. I just don’t understand what the big deal about wearing a mask is. I am fairly young and healthy but I do have asthma so technically I’m vulnerable.
As for the police brutality, I think most cops here are good guys and the small percent of the bad ones, (while I agree need to be punished and police reform is needed) are so publicized that it makes it look like they are all bad. I have several friends that are police officers and the morale is so low right now and I really feel bad for the good cops who are being treated like dirt right now. The US is a complete mess right now! And if trump wins the election, I’m terrified for the riots that will take place.

I wear a mask in any unavoidable indoors setting outside my home, including supermarket shopping - but we are in a higher risk category, especially my husband. We are still trying to minimise exposure of any sort until there is a widely available vaccine hopefully by next year. Until then, nothing has basically changed for us.
When the chips are down, neither of us wants to risk ending up in hospital or being one of the people with longer term damage. And that risk is rather more tangible for us...

Personally, I am fully for wearing masks in enclosed spaces and close contact situations because that is where there is greatest risk of transmission. But it is worth keeping in mind that the mask is to not mainly there to prevent YOU from catching Covid but primarily to prevent you from transmitting it to others in the first place who can then unknowingly pass it onto others until it sooner or later it causes a fatal or long term disabling outcome in somebody down the line.

That is rather getting lost in the argument. But I guess it boils down to how much you are minded to put your individual freedom and comfort before the respect of others, especially more vulnerable members in your society.
It is frightening for me to see to which extent this elementary respect of the weaker and more vulnerable in our society has been made a political bone of contention at the cost of far too many avoidable deaths by some people.

I don’t understand how it became a political thing anyway, although it seems everything here is. As a person with views on both sides, it’s hard because people want to label you as one or the other and then it is us against them. My parents are republican (though not huge Trump fans) and they have been wearing masks since the beginning. Most of their friends have not been wearing masks and try to convince them it is all conspiracy and overblown. I’m proud of them for not giving in to them. From what I see around here it is mostly white people in their 50s and 60s who won’t wear masks (my parents friends lol).

I wish it was more like the UK here, definitely not all fluffy and caring people! My husband saw a heated argument between a customer and store manager over wearing a mask yesterday, he hung around in case things went down lol. It ended with the customer storming out saying the store is communist. The political divide here is insane, no one can just agree to disagree and be civil. My neighbors in the four houses across the street are a father and 3 sisters. Two sisters are very obnoxious Trump supporters, they have signs in their yard that say Trump Proud, enormous flags flying that say Trump 2020, they even have life size cardboard cutouts of him that they put outside their house sometimes! The other sister hates Trump and they haven’t spoke in years and she lives between the Trump ones! The father just sees them separately and says he can’t do anything, it’s so sad and really insane.
Luckily we have a democrat governor that has really taken things seriously, so Kentucky hasn’t done too bad with the virus. I just don’t understand what the big deal about wearing a mask is. I am fairly young and healthy but I do have asthma so technically I’m vulnerable.
As for the police brutality, I think most cops here are good guys and the small percent of the bad ones, (while I agree need to be punished and police reform is needed) are so publicized that it makes it look like they are all bad. I have several friends that are police officers and the morale is so low right now and I really feel bad for the good cops who are being treated like dirt right now. The US is a complete mess right now! And if trump wins the election, I’m terrified for the riots that will take place.
So sad for you, it must be horrible living near the “Hammer House of Horrors” The people of America deserve better than Trump, what I can’t understand is how he got voted in in the first place :yikes: I fear that if trade deals are done with the USA our National Health Service will be changed and not for the better. I have no issue with chlorinated chicken, when we go to the swimming’s baths we expect the water to be chlorinated, it’s the farming practices that worry me more and anyone who has suffered from food poisoning caused by poor handling of chicken would understand the argument for chlorinated chicken

So sad for you, it must be horrible living near the “Hammer House of Horrors” The people of America deserve better than Trump, what I can’t understand is how he got voted in in the first place :yikes: I fear that if trade deals are done with the USA our National Health Service will be changed and not for the better. I have no issue with chlorinated chicken, when we go to the swimming’s baths we expect the water to be chlorinated, it’s the farming practices that worry me more and anyone who has suffered from food poisoning caused by poor handling of chicken would understand the argument for chlorinated chicken
When he said he was running I thought it was hilarious, then when he actually got the nomination I couldn’t believe it, and when he won, what the heck?! I remember staying up until 3am when they finally declared him the winner and I was in shock.

I don’t understand how it became a political thing anyway, although it seems everything here is. As a person with views on both sides, it’s hard because people want to label you as one or the other and then it is us against them. My parents are republican (though not huge Trump fans) and they have been wearing masks since the beginning. Most of their friends have not been wearing masks and try to convince them it is all conspiracy and overblown. I’m proud of them for not giving in to them. From what I see around here it is mostly white people in their 50s and 60s who won’t wear masks (my parents friends lol).

And they - especially the men - are actually in a higher risk group of having a bad reaction to Covid....
Nowt as queer as folk (nothing as strange as people), as they say in Yorkshire!

But I am deeply unhappy of how elementary hygiene and respect have become politicised in some parts of the world.

There is thankfully still a certain deeply ingrained automatic reflex from the Second World War in the UK in the way that people see the pandemic as a matter that we must all see through together as a unified society if we want to stand a chance.

I've had a complete melt down today after seeing Boris is considering making masks compulsory in shops, I've been worrying about this happening since the start. I've tried to wear a mask but anything on my head (even struggle to wear a hat in the rain) or face gives me a panic attack. If we have to wear masks I won't be able to shop and having been completely let down by the supermarket home delivery system I don't know what we will do. My partner can't wear a mask as he has COPD and can't breath with one on.

Hubby said we never had problems eating chlorinated chicken while in America, so he is also not bothered with it if we ever import it here. We do enjoy taking photos of how big the food servings in US though. 😂

FB_IMG_1594485430152.jpgFB_IMG_1594485482674.jpg20200711_174636.jpg

When he said he was running I thought it was hilarious, then when he actually got the nomination I couldn’t believe it, and when he won, what the heck?! I remember staying up until 3am when they finally declared him the winner and I was in shock.
I remember hubby woke me up early in the morning when Trump winning was all over the news. We both couldn't believe it!

This sounds very much like the UK to me! The problem is labelling. If you aren't one then you must be the other! I admitted (in a city that has been solely Labour run since the war, in an office full of very strong minded Labour supporters) that I could not even consider a vote for Labour while Corbyn was leader. Apparently that automatically makes me a Tory. Ignore the fact that there were 3 others parties running in my constituency. Having a different opinion and being labelled as the other party is said as a slur. I can't remember the last time I heard someone say "you're a Tory" without it being demeaning... Kind of like saying to someone "you're a murderer".

But anyway, back to face masks. They get used politically. We should wear them so we can say Boris isn't doing enough to protect people, that he's responsible for thousands of deaths or we shouldn't wear them because Labour/BBC/Tabloids are fear mongering and Covid-19 doesn't actually exist largely based on one person who doesn't follow the rules but has managed not to get ill.

I've had a complete melt down today after seeing Boris is considering making masks compulsory in shops, I've been worrying about this happening since the start. I've tried to wear a mask but anything on my head (even struggle to wear a hat in the rain) or face gives me a panic attack. If we have to wear masks I won't be able to shop and having been completely let down by the supermarket home delivery system I don't know what we will do. My partner can't wear a mask as he has COPD and can't breath with one on.
I’m sure they’ll be dispensations for health reasons, try not to worry x

Hubby said we never had problems eating chlorinated chicken while in America, so he is also not bothered with it if we ever import it here. We do enjoy taking photos of how big the food servings in US though. 😂

View attachment 147896View attachment 147897View attachment 147898
The food is LARGE! the only thing I hated while in America was the bread, awful stuff, had a sweet taste somehow? I’ve had some wonderful holidays in America, it’s so sad everyone is anti this and anti that, they need to pull together as a country. I’m no fan of Boris but I do think he has pulled the country together here and he has a very human relatable side to him, maybe we should send him off to America!

I wear a mask in public when going to the shops etc, to be honest we still mainly stay home, Sam is still on furlough (though hoping to go back soon as starting to worry about redundancies etc) kids will return to school in September but we haven't gone to the beach or anything just necessary shops, vet trips etc it was lexies birthday last weekend so people dropped gifts off for her but they knocked dropped then stood 6 feet away to chat. I have noticed there's not much social distancing in my town which makes me sad, no wonder we have a high infection rate 🤦‍♀️ I have piggies on my mask but it doesn't have a nose strip so I'm thinking of getting a second one with a nose strip. I even mask my kids in the event we have to take them to the shop like when they all grew a shoe size xx
IMG_20200629_131201.jpg

I wear a mask in public when going to the shops etc, to be honest we still mainly stay home, Sam is still on furlough (though hoping to go back soon as starting to worry about redundancies etc) kids will return to school in September but we haven't gone to the beach or anything just necessary shops, vet trips etc it was lexies birthday last weekend so people dropped gifts off for her but they knocked dropped then stood 6 feet away to chat. I have noticed there's not much social distancing in my town which makes me sad, no wonder we have a high infection rate 🤦‍♀️ I have piggies on my mask but it doesn't have a nose strip so I'm thinking of getting a second one with a nose strip. I even mask my kids in the event we have to take them to the shop like when they all grew a shoe size xx
View attachment 147904
I think wear a mask is common sense, if not to keep you safe it may help other more vulnerable people, especially when people can show no sign of infection, that’s what I find a worry. What a lovely photo of your daughter, wonder what she’ll think in years to come x

I’ve now worn my lovely owl mask from @teddymouse at the vets three times, on the train twice and bus twice. Not in shops but around me they’re restricting numbers with ‘bouncers’ at the door etc.
It’s a bit annoying and I’m blaming it for the big spot on my chin at age 33 (sitting around at vets all week getting humid!) but still kicking ass on style compared to everyone else’s I’ve been around Angie! :D:)) x

The food is LARGE! the only thing I hated while in America was the bread, awful stuff, had a sweet taste somehow? I’ve had some wonderful holidays in America, it’s so sad everyone is anti this and anti that, they need to pull together as a country. I’m no fan of Boris but I do think he has pulled the country together here and he has a very human relatable side to him, maybe we should send him off to America!
Please send us someone! Joe Biden is running against Trump and I’m not sure he’s any better, we need at least one decent choice to run the country!

Back