• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Keeping Guinea Pig Comfortable

Elias

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello,

I not really involved much in this community, but I would like to share some sad news.
I took my 8 year old guinea pig into the vet yesterday for an eye infection, and the vet discovered he has a tumor in his belly. He has a few weeks to live.
He underweight, but can't process nutrients properly and gain weight. The vet says his quality of life is still okay as long as he is eating, drinking, peeing, and pooping, but I'm still worried he's suffering.
Does anyone have any advice on how to keep him as comfortable as possible for the remainder of his life?

Thanks.

Hello,

I not really involved much in this community, but I would like to share some sad news.
I took my 8 year old guinea pig into the vet yesterday for an eye infection, and the vet discovered he has a tumor in his belly. He has a few weeks to live.
He underweight, but can't process nutrients properly and gain weight. The vet says his quality of life is still okay as long as he is eating, drinking, peeing, and pooping, but I'm still worried he's suffering.
Does anyone have any advice on how to keep him as comfortable as possible for the remainder of his life?

Thanks.

Hi and welcome

I am very sorry for the bad news! 8 years is a grand old age past the average life expectancy. Sadly we can never choose in which form the end comes. Apart from the actual death, this is the second worst time in the grieving process, which has just started for you; so please don't feel bad about being very upset right now.

If possible try to keep his daily routine as normal as possible; just with the level of support he needs. Make sure that he copes well if you are in area that struggles with the current heat wave in the southern half of the UK.
Hot Weather Management, Heat Strokes and Fly Strike

You may find these guides here helpful in making whatever time he has left as comfortable and special for him and yourself.
The guides should hopefully answer most of your questions and some you haven't even thought of as yet.
A Practical and Sensitive Guide to Dying, Terminal Illness and Euthanasia in Guinea Pigs
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs
If he is no longer moving around as much or does so at some point, then please use the care tips in this guide here: Looking after guinea pigs with limited or no mobility

You will know when the time has come although you will be asking yourself the question a lot when it comes closer. And brace yourself that the end always comes a sudden shock, no matter how much know that it is coming.
Death, Dying, Terminal Illness and Grieving: Information and Support for Owners and Their Children

All the best; try to make these last days special. They are bitter-sweet - but it is up to you how bitter or how sweet they are. See every day more as the precious gift that it is.

Last edited:
So sorry for your sad news, I'm sure you know there are people on here you can always talk to about anything, even if you think it's the stupidest question! You are not alone, even when sometimes caring for a poorly pig can make you feel you are. Treasure your time with your boy 🧡

I have a piggy on palliative care now. Atm she is going through a good spell but she could take a turn for the worse at any time. You have my sympathy I know what you are going through. 8 years old is a fantastic age for a piggy and just shows how well he has been looked after and loved.

So sorry that your piggy is dying.
I looked after a terminally ill piggy this year too.
I can only echo the advice already given.
Remember that for you the grieving has already started so be gentle with yourself.
We are here to support you.

Thank you everyone. I took Lightning to the vet this morning and he passed away. Wiebke, you were absolutely right about everything, and your tips for limited mobility turned out to be a good help as well.
Everyone's thoughts was helpful, and I appreciate it.

I’m so sorry for your loss, 8 is such an amazing age for a piggy to reach.
Be gentle with yourself as you grieve❤️

I’m so sorry you’ve lost him, I’m glad you could keep him comfortable until it was his time. 8 is a brilliant age, you must have cared for him so well. Big hugs x
Sleep tight Lightning xx

So sorry that you lost your boy but the fact that he lived to such a great age is a real tribute to your love and care.
Be gentle with yourself as you grieve.
Holding you in my heart

Back