• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

keeping guinea warm inside

piggiemummy03x

Forum Donator 2023/24
Reaction score
just wondering if anyone could share with me how you keep your pigs room warm enough / at a stable temperature without keeping the heating on 24/7? extremely worried about our bills but also don’t want my girls to suffer in the cold. any advice is welcome!☺️

I have to maintain my pigs cage at 17-19°C at all times as I have an old lady pig with ongoing respiratory issues. The heating only comes on for 1-2 hours in the evening (if at all) so it can get quite chilly. (The room used to be completely unheated and would stay at 13°C during the day for most of the winter, waking up to finding ice on the inside of the windows is not very fun!)

I make sure there are at least twice the number of warm fleece beds as there are guinea pigs and ensure that any even slightly damp pee pads in beds are removed and dried. Their hay area is kept topped up and cleaned daily so that they don’t go and sit in wet hay.

Something I find really helps is shutting all blinds and shutters as it begins to get dark, especially when it is very cold. I find that a lot of heat is lost through uncovered windows.

If you don’t already, I recommend getting a digital thermometer. Sometimes it feels a lot colder than it really is. I think that as a room temperature they only need around 18°, but they will usually be slightly warmer than that as they spend a lot of time buried in hay or snuggly beds.

If it is very cold I will give them warm oats made into a sort of (non-cooked) porridge with either carrot or apple added in, I know how much a warm meal warms me up and can imagine it does the same for them as well as giving them the energy to generate their own heat.

I also have a heat pad each for them which I will microwave and put in if I’m going out for the day and it is particularly cold.
If it gets far too cold (below 16) I do have to give in and I use a very old oil radiator as I would rather the cost over a dead or very ill guinea pig.

I’ve got a small (4 fin) oil radiator which I used more when I had Jelly the skinny pig. It’s quite economical to run. I’ve used it a little this winter during cold days when the heating is off to keep the room around 18/19 plus a lot of hay. Bert and Hutchie are older chaps - Hutch particularly likes to snuggle but Bert is more an open air piggie.

My pigs love a snuggle sack they can bury themselves in, I got mine off of Etsy! I recommend any fleecy hides to keep them toasty. We also have a plug in heater for them that we can adjust the temperature on depending on what their thermometer is saying (I always aim for 19-20C). My pigs cage was directly on the floor and to add some insulation over the winter we added some old carpet offcuts to sit their cage onto which I think has helped quite a bit.

our central heating is on from 7.30am to 10.00 pm at 20 degrees. I put nice warm fleecy cosies and tunnels in their cage. They are not daft, if they are cold they will use them. I also give a big pile of hay before I go to bed so they can hunker under it too. We rarely get freezing temperatures or frost where I live, it’s by the coast so lots of rain and wind instead in the winter but pretty mild

Back