• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Keeping piggies warm inside

Status
Not open for further replies.
Reaction score
We live in an old house with only single glazed windows (they had ice on the inside this morning!) so our house is pretty cold, our four piggies are kept in the living room. I've recently put the piggies onto fleece because the sawdust was irratating Branston eye's but now I'm worried if they are warm enough, they have a pigloo and wooden hut in their cage (plus tunnels and toys) and have hay racks. Branston and Junior seem to pull the hay out and spread it over their cage, is this because they are cold? They won't sleep together in the same hut, Branston's also very fussy and won't sleep in certain beds (wooden huts and soft fleecey beds)

Should I stuff their beds with hay too? even though it'll stick to the fleece.

Does anyone have any suggestions how I can keep them warmer? or am I just worrying too much rolleyes

Thanks

If you are really worried then treat them the way you would outside piggies. Remember to cover their cage with fleece at night to keep out draughts and you could lift the front in the mornings.

I've draped a fleece blanket over half my piggies C&C to keep them warm, they use it as a den now :))

When my pigs were indoors last winter, they loved to snuggle underneath a piece of fleece clipped to the cage and draped down (kinda a fleecy tent :) )

Vet bed is good at retaining bodyheat, maybe you could put this into their hideys instead of hay? It'll be cosy for them and won't be as messy for you ;)

Our house is pretty cold too:(

I drape a fleece over some of the cage at night and have bought some fleece cozies that they like to sleep in to keep them warm:))

Thank you for your reply's. I haven't had piggies that are kept outside before and where we lived before was a really warm house so haven't worried before. I didn't even think of putting fleece over their cages at night mallethead thank you. We've got cozies too but one pig will only sleep in his pigloo and they sometimes squabble over them, even if theres one each rolleyes

How about a couple of heat pads from vetuk?

6 mins in the microwave and warm for 10 hours, they can snuggle on them if cold?

Thank's, that's a good idea too :) i think i will cover their cage's with fleece at night and maybe get some vet bed for their beds, see how that goes for now. Lucky pigs will be warmer than me :)) think I'll get the heat pads for me!haha

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back