• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

kidney trouble = thin?

Status
Not open for further replies.

starla

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi, wonder if anyone can help?

Yesterday I was given a male guinea pig in a very bad state by what I can only describe as a very stupid woman who imagines herself as an animal sanctuary, but imo keeps them poorly.

They have food and water but I just doubt her ability to spot illnesses etc.
ANYWAY

I just went along to look, as I have been looking for a male guinea to have castrated and go with my ladies, she showed him to me and said I could take him for no donation - and I couldn't say no as I felt so bad for him.

He has mange mites and is incredibly thin. Since I got him home he seems to drink A LOT, he also has wet poop - not diarroreha, but you know the kind they eat?

I have used lice and easy and treated for the mange mites. The drinking troubles me though, would it be his kidneys?

Only a vet could tell you that, if you have his urine tested. Kidneys can show, we ruled kidney failure out for my girl today with a urine sample and a simple test strip.

thanks for your reply, I am taking him to the vet this week, so i will ask :)

It could be a UTI. Definately take him for a check up and get a urine test done I think.
Listen out for any squeeks when peeing or pooing and look out for any pink wee.
Hope he's on the mend soon, sounds like he's in good hands now.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back