• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Laboured Breathing

Status
Not open for further replies.

Hank288

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
My piggy seems to be having problems with her breathing today. Her abdomen is twitching in an odd way nothing like the other 2. She seems to be struggling to stand for long periods and has slightly gone off her food. I tempted her with some grass earlier but she is also really slow at munching and it took he ages just to eat a blade of grass. I brought her in for a cuddle and she seemed to be struggling to lift her head. I put her back out in the hutch with her friends and she waddled about a bit and had a drink of water but just seems to want to lie in the hay. I am really worried about her and I don't know if there is anything I can do before trying to get her to a vets tomorrow, but I worry they wont be open with it being bank holiday.
Any help appreciated I just want to at least make her comfortable.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi! Can you please get her to your out-of-hours vets as an emergency? You should be able to get the contact number from your usual vet's answering machine.

Lethargy, loss of appetite and heavy/diaphragmic breathing are symptoms that should be seen asap.

Ask the vet to not just check the lungs re. URI/atypical (symptom-free pneumonia), but also the heart and if necessary have a scan to see whether there is a fluid build-up either in the lungs, the chest cavity or the abdomen. if there is fluid or there is a possibility that there could be an issue with the heart, please ask for a diuretic.

@helen105281

helen105281

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
I agree with Wiebke that she needs the emergency vet tonight if possible. Diuretic is the most important thing needed if there is fluid, it really can be a life saver. Usually a large dose is given first of all and then smaller doses can be given at home over the next few days.

Heart issues can be found on the stethoscope alone but not all vets are experts at hearing the subtle signs. To check for heart issues ideally a conscious xray or scan is needed. She must not be placed on her back though.

It may be a URI or Pneumonia, I have had good results with Zithromax for Pneumonia but I appreciate the emergency vet may want to start with Baytril. Also, if she is snotty, Bisolvon would help clear it. You can also use steam therapy which I can explain later if needed, this would be in addition to seeing the vet though.

Status
Not open for further replies.