• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Landlord and guinea pigs

guineapig2018

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I had my guinea pigs, (2 boars) at a family members house, she is allergic so I've had to bring them home, they are caged and I keep them clean and tidy, I explained this to landlord, but he said I can have them outside, they have been in since babies, and the reason they can't be indoors is the carpets, they don't go on the carpets, I don't really want them outside, they have been in since babies, and I have no shed, or money to afford a hutch, id rather move out! has anyone else had piggy and renting problems?

I had my guinea pigs, (2 boars) at a family members house, she is allergic so I've had to bring them home, they are caged and I keep them clean and tidy, I explained this to landlord, but he said I can have them outside, they have been in since babies, and the reason they can't be indoors is the carpets, they don't go on the carpets, I don't really want them outside, they have been in since babies, and I have no shed, or money to afford a hutch, id rather move out! has anyone else had piggy and renting problems?
My landlord originaly said no pets. But i had guinea pigs anyway and he said il have yo pay for professional cleaner when i moved out. I never did get cleaners in and moved now anyway. Just hide them when he comes round. And make sure he doesnt rusdle a bag. I'm only saying this because you already have guineas.

This place was no pets but we enquired and what they really meant was no dogs. They're fine with my piggies. Theres something about reasonable cause, legalities and all that jazz that I dont understand but you might want to look into it. If you ask, they cannot deny you without reasonable cause, as he has said you can keep them outside it would be considered unreasonable to not allow them inside also...I think? Worth looking into anyway.

Tenant penalties for breaching tenancy rules - pets - The Landlord Law Blog

I am a Landlord and I wasn't happy when I turned up at the property I rent out and there was a gecko or something like that in a vivarium. Had I been asked it would have been fine but I wasn't and it wasn't. I wouldn't hide your pets I'd be open and honest about them cos if your Landlord finds out you have been hiding them he could say you are in breach of your contract and evict you. I did not evict my tenant btw just made it clear that I wasn't happy that a pet had moved in and I hadn't been informed.

I agree with Betsy.
My husband and I are also landlords. We don’t allow large dogs but are open to other pets provided a tenant asks permission. Definitely do not hide your pets.
We request extra deposit be paid in case of damage caused by the animal and that extra carpet cleaning be done when leaving the property.
If you could explain the situation further to your landlord and give assurances that they will not be allowed on the carpets, or get anywhere where they could cause damage (ie chew doors or skirting). Show him their cage, so he can see nothing will happen to carpets etc. The landlord ideally shouldn’t refuse a reasonable request.

I agree with Betsy.
My husband and I are also landlords. We don’t allow large dogs but are open to other pets provided a tenant asks permission. Definitely do not hide your pets.
We request extra deposit be paid in case of damage caused by the animal and that extra carpet cleaning be done when leaving the property.
If you could explain the situation further to your landlord and give assurances that they will not be allowed on the carpets, or get anywhere where they could cause damage (ie chew doors or skirting). Show him their cage, so he can see nothing will happen to carpets etc. The landlord ideally shouldn’t refuse a reasonable request.
thank you, yes I have done this, this afternoon and explained they will never be out of the cage in the house, only out in the garden run, so waiting on a reply, not hopeful though, I would rather move then give up my pet, even though it's just a guinea pig they help me enormously with my mental health, I keep my fingers crossed.

Good luck.
Do you rent through an agency or direct with the landlord? If it is through an agency, then they would be aware that the landlord needs to consider reasonable requests. While they work for the landlord and can only go on his instruction, agents generally (and certainly our agent) is incredibly helpful and fair to both us as landlords and our tenant. Our agent would never advise us to turn down such a reasonable request.

I'm afraid I'm a very soft landlord. I responded to a call for help, they'd locked themselves out, and when I let them in there was the sweetest little collie pup.....they hadn't asked, but I couldn't say no after spending half an hour fussing over her, lol.

When I was renting it stated no pets in the tenancy agreement. We did however ask we we could have pets and they were fine as long as they were caged. We couldn’t have the piggies indoors due to lack of space but they lived outside in a shed. We did however have gerbils, hamsters, rats and degus whilst living there. We then had the opportunity to rehome a cat. We asked the landlord again and he ask that we pay a deposit which we didn’t mind in the slightest.

All the can suggest is that you offer to pay a deposit for any damage and explain your piggies won’t go on the carpets.

I guess we were lucky with our landlord but honesty really is the best policy.

Yeah, ive done this, I'm not going to put them outside, not at this time of year its not fair on them, and I'm not rehoming them either, if they want a paying, tidy clean quiet tenant to leave, that's fine also.

Years ago we rented privately and we were find with caged pets. My friend rents privately now and she has cats, I believe she is responsible for putting right any damage the cats may do. I would agree though, don't hide them.

I hid mine for years from our landlord/agent. They had to give us 24 hour notice to come round and me and my partner would take it in turns sitting in the car with them ;)
It was quite stressful but our landlord was very unreasonable.

I agree with Betsy.
The thing is is my landlord once came into my old flat without giving notice so i lost all respect for him. I reported it to the estate agent and he never done it again as far as i know. What happened with me and my landlord at first was i asked if i could have gerbils ( because contract said no pets) and he said aslong as they are caged. So i took it guinea pigs were ok too. He never tried to evict me. Infact i used to fix everything that worn out
And even left the fridge there that i payed for when he should have payed for it because the flat was white goods included. He had a rubbish tennant that fled the country and owed him loads before me. I never missed a payment in 5 years. So it made him not want to lose me.

In the end he sold the flat, and he did ask.for the guinea pigs not to be in the photos, which i did do for him

Last edited by a moderator:
Back