Lap time after 1 year?

ZuRo2019

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello all!

This is by no means an urgent issue, but I'm just interested in some other perspectives on this. I've had 2 boars for about a year. They've gotten more comfortable with me over time, coming up to my feet during floor time and one (Roscoe) will jump on my lap if there's lettuce on it, though they both still run away if I put my hand in the cage, and neither particularly likes being held. The other (Zeus) is particularly resistant to any contact with me, and I don't force it. Roscoe used to sit on my lap for longer, would flatten out and make gentle purring noises when I pet him, though now he doesn't seem to like it very much either. I've respected that perhaps they're 2 piggies who just don't very much like being pet or having contact with a human, though I'm wondering if this is something that can still change! Any tips? Holding them with a blanket to burrow in and having veggies does help a bit, but not always. Or do I need to just accept that this isn't their cup of tea, and find other ways to bond with them?

Thanks so much and hope you're all doing well!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hello all!

This is by no means an urgent issue, but I'm just interested in some other perspectives on this. I've had 2 boars for about a year. They've gotten more comfortable with me over time, coming up to my feet during floor time and one (Roscoe) will jump on my lap if there's lettuce on it, though they both still run away if I put my hand in the cage, and neither particularly likes being held. The other (Zeus) is particularly resistant to any contact with me, and I don't force it. Roscoe used to sit on my lap for longer, would flatten out and make gentle purring noises when I pet him, though now he doesn't seem to like it very much either. I've respected that perhaps they're 2 piggies who just don't very much like being pet or having contact with a human, though I'm wondering if this is something that can still change! Any tips? Holding them with a blanket to burrow in and having veggies does help a bit, but not always. Or do I need to just accept that this isn't their cup of tea, and find other ways to bond with them?

Thanks so much and hope you're all doing well!

Hi!

Your boys are just normal guinea pigs who have been lucky to find an owner who gives them the freedom to be themselves and interact in the way they like. When you do this, you will actually find that many piggies are not keen on any long cuddles or even any cuddles at all although they will happily interact with you. Concentrate on enriched interaction, treasure what your boys are giving you freely in terms of implicit trust and what short cuddles they are OK with. Be proud that your boys are fully themselves - that is the greatest gift you can make them.
Try some of the tips in our enrichment thread; it will open a whole new world of interaction on their terms with you and take you on a journey of discovery and fun that is frankly much more interesting that having a cuddly toy pet. Guinea pigs are soooo much more!
Enrichment Ideas for Guinea Pigs

It is unfortunately our widespread incorrect human concept of seeing guinea pigs as animated cuddly toys that is the problem. Please keep in mind that videos on social media are driven entirely by human interest and human perception of what is considered cute - but they don't by any means reflect reality! :(

ZuRo2019

New Born Pup
Reaction score
They certainly are fully themselves- thank you for the helpful reframe, and the link with some enrichment ideas! They are quite rambunctious and they enjoy floor time, exploring new places to hide, and lots of things to chew. Appreciate your rapid and empathic response :)