• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Lap Time Continues ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

flowerfairy

Senior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Lovely wonderful Mistletoe and Jingle are slowly getting more confident. Jingle will happily eat during lap time (in her hidey) even if I stroke her (cheeks and ears).

Yesterday I put Mistletoe onto my lap (on a blanket) with my hoodie open as an escape route for her and gave her some salad leaves. She is normally loathe to do anything but freeze, even in the hidey but ... she started eating. I was in heaven.

She then turned round and tunnelled into my hoodie then ... lay down. Very very cute. I sat there for ages with her.

Noticed in this thread that they were talking about piggies liking skin to skin contact. Perhaps she felt nice and secure?

Selfies, Cuddles And Scalding.

Sorry to say that they both make it very clear that lap time is not to their liking.

I have taken a step back and now offer their strawberry hide to transport them into their floor time run. They love it in there and will happily popcorn around exploring and eating. Tylical guinea pigs really.

Should i continue to try and hold them a bit sometimes or is it unfair on them?

Sorry to say that they both make it very clear that lap time is not to their liking.

I have taken a step back and now offer their strawberry hide to transport them into their floor time run. They love it in there and will happily popcorn around exploring and eating. Tylical guinea pigs really.

Should i continue to try and hold them a bit sometimes or is it unfair on them?
I would but only because I think it is important to be able to handle them to do health checks. Also I know all piggies are different but our Coco was never as keen on laptime as her sister but over time has definitely got more tolerant and now even makes signs that she enjoys it. It took ages though.

It's always useful to be able to handle piggies, mainly for health checks and vet visits.

Pemba hated cuddles at first, but he's now happy enough to snuggle up for 10 minutes and use me as a toilet. I don't think any guinea pig will ever be as tame as Oreo though. He is th biggest sweetheart ever and can win anyone over. I have a friend terrified of all animals but is happy enough to have Oreo on her lap, provided he is in a cuddle cup.

You'll get there with Jingle and Mistletoe, it just might take a while.

Thank you both for your encouraging and sensible replies. Just got to get over the sense that I am being horrible by holding them. Jingle really squeaks and chatters her teeth angrily at me.

Mistletoe is a bit quieter but clearly not impressed.

Will try them again later and reward them with lovely floor time.

We tried to do it as much as we could when we first had them but for really short amounts of time, gradually increasing the time. Jingle may never be a big fan but it would be nice if you can get passed the squeaking and chattering.

I was doing it daily for short amounts of time for the first couple of months but as Jingle has got more settled she has got less compliant! I agree it would be good to get passed the squeaks and teeth chatters.

Lovely wonderful Mistletoe and Jingle are slowly getting more confident. Jingle will happily eat during lap time (in her hidey) even if I stroke her (cheeks and ears).

Yesterday I put Mistletoe onto my lap (on a blanket) with my hoodie open as an escape route for her and gave her some salad leaves. She is normally loathe to do anything but freeze, even in the hidey but ... she started eating. I was in heaven.

She then turned round and tunnelled into my hoodie then ... lay down. Very very cute. I sat there for ages with her.

Noticed in this thread that they were talking about piggies liking skin to skin contact. Perhaps she felt nice and secure?

Selfies, Cuddles And Scalding.
Good news, always nice to read .

No longer allowed cheek or ear strokes. She tooth chatters if I try that these days.

My Buddy is cheeky like that too. He teeth chatters at me too. :no: I feel your pain.

Thankyou julie. She looks so innocent and pretty. Too cute to be shirty ...

i swear all hairy pigs hate laptime! My Peruvian Goliath (golly) hates it , I've always handled them both the same stroking cuddling kissing feeding and he still can't abide it ! I try and hold him and he fidgets and then rumbles away and sits on my shoulder , I empathise with you 100%

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back