Lap time together?

CV26

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Maybe a daft question...

Spud and Dash are now 8 weeks old and so far for the little bit of lap time we've had I've been getting them out together. But, as they get braver and a bit more curious I'm finding it a little trickier to manage even with a cat bed to help corral them.

I know once they start to show their personalities the dominant boar should go first but what about at this stage? Is it ok to have lap time individually?

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
I would still have them out together. Perhaps put a puppy pads in the chair next to you and put them on it. Or set up a play pen and sit on the floor with them.

CV26

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I have a play pen so have been using that mostly. They like climbing over me but it does mean they're more interested in exploring than having a little cuddle with mum. The cat bed I have has a high back and low front so they cant get too far but if I'm stroking one the other tends to realise you're not looking at him much and will toddle off.

Will just keep experimenting 🙂

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
If they prefer to explore then that’s what they like. Some piggies never like being touched or lap time.

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
:agr: Mine are so much happier if I just sit with them in their shed rather than try to hold them

CrestedPiggies

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I do the same as Claire, put a fleece on the sofa and let them do as they like. Usually Hermione will plonk herself down straight away and get comfy and is happy to be stroked, and Ginny will go off exploring :)

exia

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Two of my guys loves laptime - but not in the lap! They want to be in their "cuddle box" with some fleece and be petted.
The other two? Well... They need to run first. Run, run, run. They both love to lay down in my lap but also wants a cuddle box they can jump over to. Then back. When they just jumps between its time to go home...

GPTV

Rescue Buddy
Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
You'll gradually learn to know who likes what, most of mine have been really snuggly, cuddly girls, often going to sleep on my lap or chest.. Or occasionally my shoulder & neck.

One of my current girls Squiggle likes to be on the sofa or in her cuddle cup/cosy but isn't keen on laptime, so she watches the others from her blanket/bed at the far end of the sofa - within sprinting distance of food if any appears ;)

Tiggy hates being picked up & screams blue murder, but once on my chest or lap she'll happily doze off-especially if she's facing me & uphill?!
Bumblebee is much the same but only has a little chunter at being picked up, once she's over the indignity of it she's happy for cuddles :wub:

My old girl Orca actively comes looking for cuddles & treats, she will snuggle up & doze off within minutes, her little eyelids close &she had a little sleepy snoring session, often hastened by gentle rubbing of her ears between my finger&thumb.

Happy cuddle times xx