• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Large Lump

Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Jenni75

:-\

Hello all, I'm new to this forum and wondered if anyone could help me. I have an Abysinnium (not sure about the spelling!) gp called Freddy, he's absolutely adorable and a real romancer with people! Anyway, he has a large lump on his bum, it doesn't hurt him and he's still eating, drinking, shiny thick coat and shiny eye etc. It feels a bit like a fatty lump in that if you press it you can see your finger indented for about a minute afterwards (ick!). Could someone tell me if he should see the vet? I'd rather not take him if possible as he gets quite panicky and upset about being taken to new places. Thank you!

Personally I would get any lump checked out - I have an excellent guinea vet who doesn't charge for looking at lumps. I am particularly scared of lumps because Scarbo (my abby) had a cold abscess on his neck removed under GA which nearly killed him; then in May he had a 200g tumour removed from his liver. i don't know how he managed to survive such surgery.

My advice would be to get it checked out. It's probably harmless, but guineas go downhill so quickly and often don't show any other symptoms.

Kep us posted and good luck x

It sounds like it may be a cyst to me. Pigs are very prone to them - especially on the rump.

If you take him to the vets they will put a tiny needle in to check and if it is a cyst they will probably drain it there and then.

As Lucinda has said lumps can be all sorts of things so it is worth getting him checked out asap.

does sound like a cyst to me especailly as the finger leaves an indentation, because a cyst is a capsule filled with grey coloured gunge its thick and some times hard to remove by needle, I do my piggys cysts my self but have been doing so for years so know exactly what to look for and what to do, it comes from experience, get it checked by your vet to be 100% sure

Hi All, :)

Sorry, had last week off so couldn't reply. Yep, got Freddy checked out and after squeals that I'm sure could have shattered glass the vet checked, syringed (Freddy is never going to speak to me again) and yes, it was a cyst. Big relief - for me anyway.....poor old Freddy has definitely been giving me the evils!

Thank you all for your help on this - don't suppose anyone has any foolproof advice on cutting Freddy's nails without his squealing like I've just chopped his leg off?!

Aww that's great, a few on here have had problems with cysts, me included :)

Nails.. have you checked the thread in the first part of this section? Wrapping them in a towel is good. I can understand him squealing at you. A couple of my girls do that when I have the clippers in my hand before I've done anything! ;D

just a little word of warning some times the cysts refils the capsule it was in, if the vet just syringed it out, so keep an eye on the lump site

Thanks - I'll remember that and keep checking for return of lump - is it easy to rid them yourself at home?

Re the nails - I know what you mean! Soon as he sees the clippers he starts nuzzling into my arms and making that funny chugging noise and when he realises that's not going to work in goes a breath of air, out comes the high pitched continuous squeal! I've checked under his nail where the quick should be and I'm so far away from it I can't be causing him pain. In fact, my friend and I chopped his nails back quite far a while ago when I held him and kept him occupied with grass and she snipped and filed them down! Problem though is that the front nails are black so unless I pull his leg around I can't really check how far back to cut so I keep it safe and take little bits off at a time.

His friend - Flo - has started squealing as well now when she sees the clippers ::)

Michelle's an expert with cysts! ;) If you have a search around this part you will find out all what she has been doing.

I have done it, but it's not for the faint hearted! Pus is smelly and just revolting LOL a strong stomach is needed! :D

Tonic's nails are black also and I do the same as you, nip them regularly. Doesn't stop him squirming or even squealing like I'm hurting him! He just doesn't like it! ;D

I think I could cope..... :-\ ! I worked for a vet when I was younger so I'm pretty much ok with things like that - might leave that job to the vet though ;D

Ah, another squealer! Amazing that such a loud pitch can come out of such a small yet tubby body!

My other one, Flo, squeals when I have to snip the dreadlocks off her bum! Very long haired and not a tidy pig like Freddy, constantly cleaning her..... :)

They should use them for self defence really shouldn't they?! No one would want to battle against that noise ;D

I feel sorry for the neighbours.......they must think I'm torturing something.... ::)

We live backing onto a somerfield carpark........so the squeal echos back! I've actually heard people in the carpark asking what that noise is! :-[

Maybe I'll just have to set up some emery boards on the floor so he can file his own nails down........ ;D (trust me, I wouldn't really do this!)

Ok, had a bit of an ick moment yesterday - seems Freddy had another fatty lump that neither the vet nor myself had seen (he has a LOT of hair!) but his girlfriend found it, and seems to have either bitten him or something as when I picked him up yesterday to put him on the grass he had grey pasty stuff in his hair - I checked and found under the hair a lump and greyish stuff in and around the lump so spent a good half an hour or more trying to clean it out and put antiseptic in. Felt so guilty as Freddy was chattering and trying to climb into my arms as I'm chopping his fur off and trying not to cause him too much pain..... :'( I just hope thats the end of the lumps for the moment - especially with winter around the corner as at this rate I'll have to buy him a coat :)

That's the stuff! Michelle has found that magnesium sulphate you get from chemist, draws all the pus out. Last time, I think she was treating her piggy, Floo for about 2 weeks (?) then it healed nicely. So think you might have to keep checking for a while!

Nasty stuff! ;)

Magnesium sulphate hey?  Thanks  :)  I shall go get some tomorrow when I do my rounds of the pet shop etc.  At the moment I'm covering him in savlon antiseptic cream so yesterday Flo had it all over her face as well...... ::)

I don't know how people can syringe this themselves at home - like polyfilla!

I feel so guilty when he starts chattering.....poor little guy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back