• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Lawn Time Warning!

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
With the weather so nice and much warmer, the temptation to put your piggies out on the lawn is very great!

PLEASE be careful! We've had a lot of rain in recent days and the ground is still not as warm as the air. Make sure that your guinea pigs' tummies are accustomed to fresh rich grass first in order to avoid diarrhoea or bloat!

When putting indoors piggies on the lawn:
- Please make sure that they have had a portion of grass without problems on the day before.

- Stand in the spot you put the run with your bare feet for 5 minutes. If your feet feel cold and damp, then your guinea pigs will do the same very quickly, too!

- Spring sunshine can be deceptive; temperatures can drop quickly under a cloud or a sudden shower. Always have a place that is off the ground, protected from cool breezes, rain and sunshine with some hay for your piggies to snuggle in whenever they need/want to.

- The first lawn outing should always only be a short one to accustom your piggies to outdoors conditions, but not put them at risk of UTI or URI.

Treat your piggies like you would tender bedding plants! ;)

Much more information around all aspects of lawn time via this link here: Feeding Grass And Preparing Your Piggies For Lawn Time

Mine are out right now but they’ll be spending their summer outdoors time on the patio as my lawn just gets too damp ,

They’re currently enjoying some cut grass but they’ve been having this for the last few weeks :)

Mine have grass all year round, so not an issue.

I put them out for the first time today. The grass where I put them was good and dry, further up the garden is still boggy.

They were out for about an hour. They didn't enjoy it!

Hello - does anyone have any advice on if it's ok to put piggys on the grass if you've used fertiliser/weed killer in the Autumn? i.e. 5 months ago. The grass has been trimmed once since that time. I couldn't find any answers on this anywhere else. Thank you!

Hello - does anyone have any advice on if it's ok to put piggys on the grass if you've used fertiliser/weed killer in the Autumn? i.e. 5 months ago. The grass has been trimmed once since that time. I couldn't find any answers on this anywhere else. Thank you!

We generally recommend trimming three times to make sure that everything has grown out. Grass doesn't grow much over winter.

Thanks for fast reply! Good to know, I'll keep them on the patio until then.

Back