• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Leaving guinea pigs alone

Ryleypj

New Born Pup
Hi!
So just a quick question. I am going on a two day trip to London tomorrow morning and I just wanted to know if my two piggies will be okay in their own for the time? They will have a full bowl of veggies in the morning before I go as well as a full bowl of pellets and two full.bottles of water and fresh hay.

Many thanks

Watchman

Junior Guinea Pig
Due to work I am sometimes away for 24 36 hours. Piggies always have plenty of hay a couple of bottles and a bowl of water and big bowl of veggies and veggie kebab. Not done them any harm yet apart from throwing feeding time ritual out of whack for a couple of days.

Mother Hubbard

Forum Donator 2017/18
It would be great if you could get someone to drop in and check on them for you. I can manage an overnight away but then again I have great neighbours who can pop in for me.

anyar.dris

Junior Guinea Pig
I have never left my guinea pigs overnight. The longest time we have left them was from 6am to 11pm when we have to go to London. It would be better to have someone look after them while you are away. Even though you would leave them plenty of food and water, veggies do get spoiled. Also, piggies may eat all the veggies in one go and it may cause some problems. If you can find someone to look after them, like giving them food and check if they are alright, while you are away, then that's the best thing to do.

Swissgreys

Forum Buddy
OK, I know some people will disagree with me on this, and all opinions are my own, based on my personal (limited) expereince.

Guinea pigs can be fragile creatures, and sometimes bad things happen.
When Ruby got sick recently I was shocked at how she was eating veggies at 8am and by 5pm we had to rush her to the emergency vet - she barley made it through the operation, and it took her over 6 weeks to recover.
This is an extreme example, but guinea pigs can and do go downhill rapidly when there is a problem (bloat, bladder stones, etc).

But I do also leave my guinea pigs alone (rarely) for up to 36 hours.
When you say you will be away for 2 days, do you mean 2 days and 2 nights?
How many hours (roughly)?
I think it is ok to leave piggies for 2 full days and one night, but in all honesty I would be reluctant to leave them for longer.

When we do leave ours overnight I always make sure they have an extra water bottle (in case one leaks, so they have a back up) and 2 bowls of pellets.
I tend to feed them their normal amount of fresh food on the morning that I leave, and make sure they hay trays and hay bags are stuffed full.

If I need to be away for 2 nights I as a neighbor to pop in and fill up water bottles and pellet bowls.
Longer than 2 nights and I pay a proffesional pet sitter to do things like clean and refil hay trays, sweep their cages, etc.

Merab's Slave

Forum Donator 2017/18
It’s better if there is someone who can pop in just to check on them.
If I know I am going to be out all day and back late I give mine their veggies before leaving and explain that they’re to last all day.
Sometimes there’s some left when I leave the house a few minutes later.
Do you have s neighbour you trust?

Flutterby

PHOTO COMPETITION WINNER
Forum Donator 2017/18
I wouldn't leave them for two days without someone seeing to them at least one a day.