• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Lethargic Guinea Pig

Status
Not open for further replies.

PopcornPigs

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi,
Sorry about the long time no post but I've been fairly busy lately ... sadly I've come to post as I have poorly pig :(

Every morning when I feed the pigs their breakfast I give them a visual check over. This morning Frazzle seemed a little off, his/Annie's bowl wasn't empty like it usually is and Fraz didn't run up to my hand to see what I was doing. He seemed a lot more sleepy than usual, instead of running around he looked at me then curled back up to sleep.

I asked my partner to keep any eye on him today as he was working from home. He got him out for a cuddle and updated me throughout the day, he's been very sleepy but had eaten some hay.

This evening I'm not happy with him, he was very lethargic just wanting to lye down and sleep. I gave him a check over and I can't notice anything obviously wrong apart from maybe one of his bottom teeth looks off to the back, tinged brown. He didn't get up for his veggie dinner which is very abnormal and wasn't interested at all.

I've booked a vet appointment for tomorrow but for now I've syringe fed him, given him a dose of metacam, moistened some pellets in a bowl for him and heated a snugglesafe which he is now perched on. Since this he has perked up a little and eaten a slice of cucumber and some moistened pellets.

Is there anything else I can do for now? I just want him to be ok :(

I am sorry little Frazzle is not his usual self. I am sending him my best wishes.

I am very sorry! You are doing fine.

Sometimes it cannot be at all obvious what is wrong. All the best with the vet tomorrow! Make sure that you switch to weighing daily instead of weekly as just judging the food intake visually can be misleading. Continue to hand feed; how often depends on how much he takes in one go. Also offer water.

Sorry the hear this....but it;s great you;re so observant and have spotted something "brewing"
It's worrying when we notice our piggies are not eating all their veggies and looking "off" - but, because they are prey animals that hide their illness until the last possible moment, sometimes they are not actually "sick enough" for the vet to determine what's wrong on a first visit.

However - there are some things you can do to maximise the chances of the vet coming to a preliminary diagnosis and prescribing some meds.

a) Weigh him tonight so the vet has a reference point tomorrow.
b) Write down every tiny thing about how his behaviour today is different from normal (Is he a youngster or an older pig?)
c) Check his eyes ears and nostrils for any discharge.
d) Is there any blue tinge to his pink piggie lips/edges of his ears, are his paws swollen, can you feel any lumps or bumps?
e) If you can collect a fresh wee specimen before you go to the vet tomorrow that might help narrow down what may be wrong.(get him to pee in the pet carrier and suck it up into a syringe)
f) Also make sure there are some fresh poop samples in the carrier tomorrow morning for the vet to inspect
g) If you suspect you piggie may have a dental issue - then put them in the carrier to go the vets one hour before your appointment. Do not give any food at all (including NO hay)..except small bits of cucumber without the skin on (this will help clean out their mouths and encourage a wee sample).

HTH - Good luck tomorrow.
x

Thanks for all of your advice. This morning Frazzle was less lethargic and I saw him drinking from the bottle.

My OH took him to the vets as I couldn't get time off, turns out I was right - he has scraped/damaged the enamel on his lower right tooth which is very painful. The tooth may fall out now so need to keep an eye on it and give him metacam twice daily.

He came out for his veggie dinner this evening so feeling a lot happier :)

All the best! I hope that he'll make a good recovery! Please continue to weigh him daily and to top him up if necessary.

Hoping the metacam will ease his discomfort, they are such a worry at times. Keep us updated on him

Whilst it;s great to hear of you vets diagnosis.....as the owner of 4 piggies who have each (finally) and PERMANENTLY lost a front incisior...please be vigilant regarding his current condition and his eating habits. Please PM me if you want a chat.
x

Thanks Pebble. I've had experience of Wills loosing either his bottom or top incisors at one time but they grew back. Frazzle's tooth looks very painful, I'm not sure how he has managed to damage it so bad. His weight is stable today and he's eating hay and veg. I haven't seen him eat pellets though.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back