• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Lethargic pig! Tear drop poop.

Kirsty

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi all,
I've noticed my biscuit is off character, he's normally a bulshy pig who bosses everyone about but he's been very lethargic the last few days. I took him to the exotic vet today and his guts seemed ok, breathing sounded fine etc. He did notice that one of his ears was blocked with ear wax, so we wondered whether this could be causing the lethargy and change of character.
The vet could not notice anything more and had a good feel of his tummy etc.
So he sent me away with pain relief (metacam) and some ear drops and told me to scoop out whatever ear wax comes out. (he also gave them a good clean).
He is deffo still eating, but I do have to keep "poking' him to go to his veg and he does then go and eat. He scoffed his veg earlier today also.

I have some bio lapis sachets an wondered whether this would do any good for him? as it's his poops that are tear shaped and some very small that are bothering me, he's clearly not eating enough.

Advice? Any ideas?

Hi all,
I've noticed my biscuit is off character, he's normally a bulshy pig who bosses everyone about but he's been very lethargic the last few days. I took him to the exotic vet today and his guts seemed ok, breathing sounded fine etc. He did notice that one of his ears was blocked with ear wax, so we wondered whether this could be causing the lethargy and change of character.
The vet could not notice anything more and had a good feel of his tummy etc.
So he sent me away with pain relief (metacam) and some ear drops and told me to scoop out whatever ear wax comes out. (he also gave them a good clean).
He is deffo still eating, but I do have to keep "poking' him to go to his veg and he does then go and eat. He scoffed his veg earlier today also.

I have some bio lapis sachets an wondered whether this would do any good for him? as it's his poops that are tear shaped and some very small that are bothering me, he's clearly not eating enough.

Advice? Any ideas?

Hi!

The symptoms are associated with decreased food intake, but not necessarily a digestive problem. Pain and discomfort anywhere in the body can impact on food intake. I assume that your vet the heart while giving your piggy obviously a full body check? If the problem is located deep in the body, then it is not necessarily possible to find it with a hands-on check.

Please switch to weighing daily and step in with syringe feeding ASAP. The poo output always lags 1-2 days behind the input; you have to take that into consideration and be aware that they will likely get worse reflecting the time before you have seen the vet and until any medication can kick in and hopefully get to work.
Weight - Monitoring and Management
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

All the best! It is always difficult when there is no clear signpost to a specific problem! :(

Hi!

The symptoms are associated with decreased food intake, but not necessarily a digestive problem. Pain and discomfort anywhere in the body can impact on food intake. I assume that your vet the heart while giving your piggy obviously a full body check? If the problem is located deep in the body, then it is not necessarily possible to find it with a hands-on check.

Please switch to weighing daily and step in with syringe feeding ASAP. The poo output always lags 1-2 days behind the input; you have to take that into consideration and be aware that they will likely get worse reflecting the time before you have seen the vet and until any medication can kick in and hopefully get to work.

All the best! It is always difficult when there is no clear signpost to a specific problem! :(

Thank you,
I will step in on the syringe feeding if I notice his poops have decreased, at this moment he is still eating and popping there just odd shaped. The vet did listen to his guts and he heard gurgling so that's why he hasn't issued any gut stimulants. I have however been on close poop watch! And if I noticed a decrease or stop I will initiate syringe feeding! I'm trying not to do this at the moment as I don't want to stop him from eating his hay etc.

Your right, I forgot their stomachs are a little behind. So hopefully I will see a improvement tomorrow or next ..

Do you think his blocked ear with wax could we what's causing the problem? He has always had a problem with wax in his ears!

Thank you,
I will step in on the syringe feeding if I notice his poops have decreased, at this moment he is still eating and popping there just odd shaped. The vet did listen to his guts and he heard gurgling so that's why he hasn't issued any gut stimulants. I have however been on close poop watch! And if I noticed a decrease or stop I will initiate syringe feeding! I'm trying not to do this at the moment as I don't want to stop him from eating his hay etc.

Your right, I forgot their stomachs are a little behind. So hopefully I will see a improvement tomorrow or next ..

Do you think his blocked ear with wax could we what's causing the problem? He has always had a problem with wax in his ears!

Your guess is as good as mine, but if he is still eating on his own, even if less than normal, then he is not so badly off.
Just offer him top-up as much as he will take, but do not force anything down as he is not totally off food and fighting it.

No improvement in his poops today.
I have some bio lapis and wondering whether it be useful to give to him? if so, how much?
Your guess is as good as mine, but if he is still eating on his own, even if less than normal, then he is not so badly off.
Just offer him top-up as much as he will take, but do not force anything down as he is not totally off food and fighting it.

I have some bio lapis and wondering whether it be useful to give to him? if so, how much?

Be patient, offer him top up syringe feed/mushed up pellets as he is obviously not eating quite a much as he should. You can add a pinch of bio lapsis to the syringe feed twice daily. Use the kitchen scales to judge the amount of support feed he needs.
If there is no improvement, contact your vet clinic and ask them for gut stimulants. Get hold of some recovery formula please.

Please read these guides here and implement the advice. they are the key to any support care you give a guinea pig that is not well.

Be patient, offer him top up syringe feed/mushed up pellets as he is obviously not eating quite a much as he should. You can add a pinch of bio lapsis to the syringe feed twice daily. Use the kitchen scales to judge the amount of support feed he needs.
If there is no improvement, contact your vet clinic and ask them for gut stimulants. Get hold of some recovery formula please.

Please read these guides here and implement the advice. they are the key to any support care you give a guinea pig that is not well.

Hi, biscuit improved a few days ago and his poops were better he was bouncy and back to his normal self. And now yesturday and today he seems to be unsettled again, sleeping alot. I managed to get a poop that was deffo from him as I watched it come out! ( The joys!) And wondered what you thought? It's fairly formed but quite easy to squish. It's smelly but only if I put my nose to it! And it kind of had a random hole at the top?! Pictures below.

Any poop advice greatly appreciated! I have the vet calling me later to give him an update.

Attachments

• IMG_20190322_154132.jpg
    IMG_20190322_154132.jpg
    42.5 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20190322_154217.jpg
    IMG_20190322_154217.jpg
    33.4 KB · Views: 4
  • IMG_20190322_154146.jpg
    IMG_20190322_154146.jpg
    101.7 KB · Views: 4
Back