• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Lets not judge...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pigalig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So possibly an odd question coming right up: Wasn't really sure where to stick it

Are there novelty (or more serious) guinea pig shows circulating anywhere? For handsome piggies that want some recognition ;)
I'm not one for preening and making animals squeaky clean for show status, however my Tim, a 2 year old dutch boar, looks to me as if he has perfect markings etc, and how fun would it be to show him off to see what he's up against.
He's neutured and never sits still so it wouldnt be a serious thing at all, just wondering if anyone is in the know of any fun piggy shows, especially in the south as I'm in sussex.

I doubt anyone would be able to tell you about any shows. It's not really in the pigs best interest to be shown for fun.

I would stick to showing your guinea pig pictures on here :).

I doubt anyone would be able to tell you about any shows. It's not really in the pigs best interest to be shown for fun.

I would stick to showing your guinea pig pictures on here :).

Yes I agree! xx
It's much better showing your photos on here, and i think your piggies would prefer that hehe lol! x

Some guinea pigs would probably be fine going to shows, ones who are really laid back and would love the attention.

But some would be scared and stressed, and miss their friends and all.

The only ones I know of are usually fun pet shows at school fayres, village fetes, summer fayres etc. Keep your eyes on the local adverts. Years ago when my 4 children were young we used to take our pets, these included my eldest daughter's pet rat, My youngest daughter's favourite guinea pig, my middle daughter's favourite rabbit and my son took our dog. We all had great fun and my youngest won the look alike prize with her guinea pig (both had long blonde hair!) No animals were harmed or stressed as they were used to being handled and we had a very busy, noisy house anyway!

Lovely stuff. I've taken dogs to novelty shows since I was very young and it was such a brilliant atmosphere, I just wondered if there were opportunities to have the same experience with the pigs. You guys are totally right though, it wouldn't be the same for the guineas, although I think my Tim would take it in his stride.
I don't doubt there are tonnes of show Peruvians, shelties and the like having funny hairstyles for show all over the shop, but thats definitely not for me. Photo's of my guys are in http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=64123 and http://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/showthread.php?t=61515
Enjoy :P

I love taking my dog to fun dog shows too, it makes for a real good day out, not so sure about guinea pig shows, i think there are some real serions showers and breeders out there that prepare theie guinea pigs from birth. like the idea of fun shows a bit like an epiosode out of all creatures great and small lol

I'm sure there are guinea pig shows, is there not like, a Guinea Pig Board?
there is with hamsters and showing is nice! The people showing are usually breeders wanting to show off the fantastic hamsters they've 'created' and also hamsters are sold there to bring more bloodlines and stuff :)
Surely there is some for pigs!

I once read that long haired show pigs would be disqualified if their hair was cut in any way, and it had to be natural. That really would be a case of not being able to tell which way the thing is facing, never mind if it can see where it's going....My Peruvian hates haircut time, but I keep telling him he'd hate it more if I left it :P

I have 2 guinea pigs from show lines (as the breeder called them).
Their mums & dads are show piggies but I'd never show mine, apart the from the fact that nothing ever behaves in my house lol and I'd never have the time to prune & preen them for hours on end.
Both of mine are long haired and absolutely adorable x)x)

I think what would be even better than a show is a piggie pignic...where everyone could meet up with their piggles x) Although i think it would be very dangerous.....I'd start pignapping :))

I think what would be even better than a show is a piggie pignic...where everyone could meet up with their piggles x) Although i think it would be very dangerous.....I'd start pignapping :))

Lol that Would be sooooooooooooooooooo cute! xxxxx

They could all meet each other, lol with out any funny buisness..! xx

That sounds like fun! I think one of the Rescues ran a piggie-picnic in the summer :)

That sounds like fun! I think one of the Rescues ran a piggie-picnic in the summer :)

Awwwwwwwwww that sounds sooo cute! x) If theirs another this summer my OH and i now have a car woo! :)) Piggie pignics!

Near to Sussex you have various local Cavy clubs. Epsom Cavy Club holds shows but not very regularly as they lost their secretary last year. Their next show is 17th April, I am hoping to go to have a look around and see what goes on.

You can do breed classes but tbh the breed standards are very hard to meet with your average pet guinea (snobby lot, lol) pet classes are your best bet, and some hold veteran classes for guineas over 4 :) my JoJo was shown in adolescent pet classes before I got him and did very well so I'm told! Dunno how, he's a right terror...

There is also Kent Cavy Club, Worthing Cavy Club...a breeder local to me has show dates on her website but I don't really want to post her website on here in case people looking for guineas overlook the rescues and go to her site :{ if you can pm, pm me and I will send it to you.

There's bunny shows every month and at most there is a pet class. My bunny took part and won x) He doesn't mind travelling and it was a quiet show with not many people there. :) He also came out of his cage for a run around because I was not keeping him in his cage! :))

There's probably shows for piggies with a pet class too. :)

I went to a tent in a field in the rain with lots of piggies and piggy mad people last October - it was the most fantastic day out! I got to meet people from the forum and cuddle lots and lots of different piggies. Mine were cuddled loads too.

In all honesty, it was great. A rescue ran that one, I can't stress how much fun it was. If there is anything like this going on near you then please go!

I went to a tent in a field in the rain with lots of piggies and piggy mad people last October - it was the most fantastic day out! I got to meet people from the forum and cuddle lots and lots of different piggies. Mine were cuddled loads too.

In all honesty, it was great. A rescue ran that one, I can't stress how much fun it was. If there is anything like this going on near you then please go!

Yes I had a fabulous time to and there will be another this year! :)). I met you and your piggies, didn't really get a chance to talk to you though! It was a Huge Success and despite the bad weather great fun!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back