• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info

Lets Pee In The Hay... Then Sleep In It!

Status
Not open for further replies.

LB14

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Morning all!

I'm trialing all methods of prolonging shavings life as my C&C is quite large and have found that if I have a big veggie box from the market, put some hay in, then hang hay balls above it, the piggies eat the hay out the balls, and use the bottom lot as a litter tray.

Brilliant!

However, I've run out of the big boxes and have used a few smaller boxes this time, and rather than do the same, one of my boys has taken to just peeing in the smaller box, and sprawling out to rest on top of it.

He stinks! As does the piggy pen.
I'm wary of bathing too often so have a deodorant spray thing that you spray on and brush through. That only masks the smell however I'm changing the box and hay daily but he's not taking the hint lol!

Do any of you have really mucky piggies that just like to eat, pee and sleep in the same place? How do I change it so he's not laying in his own mess?

Flutterby

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
Yes, yes and yes. All my pigs like to eat and toilet in the same place, that's why I put litter trays under their hay racks. It means cleaning a lot easier, but then again I am on fleece.

7squeakers.

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Try giving them a small dark box with fleece or similar on the bottom to pee in. Piggies like small dark places to hide, and often use such places as toilets too.

LB14

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
They have loads of hidey holes and boxes, but its the one that has hay they like to pee in and sleep in which is my problem. They are really relaxed all the time, sprawled out in the middle of the pen or in the beds lol

Status
Not open for further replies.