• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Letting piggies out on the yard first time

Piggy101

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
This will be the first time they go out and I do feed them cuttings of grass, I have for months. But the thing is since I have dogs and I'm worried about them getting into pee but I also read somewhere that they can get a UTI if they're out on wet grass? Then I read before someone spraying off patches of grass as a precaution before letting them out in the yard. Two of the dogs go out on a long cable so I know how far they can go but one goes loose. Would it be wise to hose the area I'm going to let them run around in? Just worried especially since I live in the woods I have everything from deer to foxes coming around in the yard and then of course my dogs feel the need to mark their territory lol.

Fox and dog pee are a no no for guineapigs. I probably wouldn’t let them out if you know that they go there regularly. And no they shouldn’t eat wet grass either. I would cordon off an area where the dogs can’t go and maybe set that as their grazing area/grass cutting area.

Another thing I noticed is that theres a mix of different grass/weeds most of it is clover and just grass but like some small pieces of ground ivy and stuff should I be worried about that?

Different grasses are fine and so are some weeds.

Another thing I noticed is that theres a mix of different grass/weeds most of it is clover and just grass but like some small pieces of ground ivy and stuff should I be worried about that?

Ivy is toxic to piggies
Unless you can be certain the ground is free from toxic substances (other animals urine, pesticides etc) and is free from toxic plants, then don’t put them on the ground

Dont most people have weeds and such in their yard? It's not a bunch I just saw a few pieces way under the grass. But this also was in the back yard away from the dogs, I'll take a picture of our front yard and see what you think. Also I know that its supposed to be poisonous to horses, yet my horse grazed loose around the yard and everywhere all summer with no issues. Yet on other forums I saw people saying its toxic to horses too, when I know that he ate it all year. I'm not one to take any chances of course, but it's just very very confusing you know. I even saw one website with a list of stuff that's supposed to be toxic to Guinea pigs, and dandelions was on the list andddd we know they can eat them.

Yes we do have weeds in our garden but it means avoiding those patches of dangerous weeds when placing runs.
My garden has several buttercup patches, so I simply avoid putting their run anywhere near those patches
You need to get information from a reputable source and obviously the one saying dandelions are toxic is a questionable source

Back