• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Lettuces

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tyanna

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Is everything in this mix safe?

http://freshexpress.com/product/tender-leaf-mixes/spring-mix.aspx

"Baby lettuces (baby green romaine lettuce and red romaine lettuce, tango lettuce, baby green oak lettuce and red oak lettuce, lolla rosa, baby green leaf lettuce and red leaf lettuce, baby green butter lettuce and red butter lettuce), baby greens (red swiss chard, mizuna, tatsoi, baby spinach, arugula), frisee and raddichio. Ingredients may vary."

I buy A LOT of this for my tortoises, and was wondering if my guinea pigs could benefit too? Obviously with other added veggies.

They are safe to feed but personally, I do not feed lettuce as it is high in calcium and has little nutritional value.

I would love to see a picture of your tortoises one day. If you would not mind.

Thank you so much! I will continue to rotate so they're not eating the same mix everyday, but this is a great mix for my tortoises, so I have LOTS of it! I pick out spinach, because it's no good for tortoises. I will give it to the piggies for a treat once in awhile. :)

They are safe to feed but personally, I do not feed lettuce as it is high in calcium and has little nutritional value.

I would love to see a picture of your tortoises one day. If you would not mind.

Mine get a lot of other veg, but I do add lettuce. :)

I will make a thread to show off my tortoises! :)

The thing I don't like is the disclaimer at the end "ingredients may vary".

Just bear in mind that some of the ingredients are things that it is advisable to feed in moderation ( particularly spinach + tatsoi) & as Piggyfan has said, lettuce isn't a great food for guinea pigs,

The thing I don't like is the disclaimer at the end "ingredients may vary".

Just bear in mind that some of the ingredients are things that it is advisable to feed in moderation ( particularly spinach + tatsoi) & as Piggyfan has said, lettuce isn't a great food for guinea pigs,

Yes, I pick out spinach because it's in moderation for tortoises too. Now I'm confused a bit, because I was aware that they were supposed to get some lettuce daily?

Can someone post me what you feed your guinea pig daily? I know it varies but just generally, and how much?

i personally feed lettuce as it's a leafy green and to be honest, you can say bad things about too much of any food. too much calcium, too much sugar, too gassy etc. just feed a wide variety and rotate as much as possible. that way they don't get huge amounts of each thing :)

I used to give lettuce daily but since I learned that it's high in calcium, I've been weaning the boys off it and just add it every now and then as a little treat. I'm slowly but surely getting their portion sizes down to the IC diets recommendations.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back