• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Lice and mites but the vet wont treat it!

Status
Not open for further replies.
B

banz2009

Can anyone help me find something I can treat my guinea pigs with. I have quite a large number, including pregnant sows and young babies (3 weeks)
I initially took my one poorly pig to the vet and he diagnosed mites. He treated her with xeno 45? and her companion.
He has since told me I need to treat every pig I have as it will spread? Have heard conflictiong stories on this.
Now I have just found lice ( well what I think is lice! Small white/yellow things crawling along the hair!) on a couple of my young ones. The vet said they cant treat anything with what they have thats under 16 weeks or pregnant and that I should ask in a pet shop! I knew this vet was bad but this is ridiculous. So now it's nearly two weeks down the line, the original poorly pig is recovering well but I cant get any treatment for any of my other pigs!
Does anyone know what or where I could get something for these lice asap? I'm not to concerned about the mites as I haven't had any problems on the other pigs.
Sorry it's a long one!

Yup, go for gorgeous guineas, Chrissie is fab and can advise especially as you have mini pigs!

Thankyou for the link. I've been on there before. It does look really good but I still cant use it on the babies or the pregnant sows!

Oh what a nightmare. When I suspected my two sows were pregnant (boys got into their pen) I couldn't treat them for lice at all. There was a paste that could be used but its not known if it is safe. I wouldn't use it or chance it at all!

So I brushed out the lice daily and kept on with it and they did eventually go. I'm not sure if there is anything safe for pregnant pigs. Chrissie may know. Good luck! :)

You can treat the babies for mites with ivermectin. I would go for xeno 50 which is designed for smaller rodents such as mice. xeno 450 for adult guineas. Cheapest I have seen it is on www.vetuk.co.uk

The lice is not the end of the world and could wait a bit longer to be treated. You can use conditioner and lice comb but 3 weeks is very young and it would stress them terribly. Any boars should be seperated from mum by now anyway and it is more important to treat the mites. Email Chrissie at GG anyway, she is a rodentologist and will advise your best course of action x

P.S mites dont "spread". All guineas have mites in tiny numbers under the skin, they proliferate in times of stress so in mummy sows case, probably the pregnancy.

Hello, thanks for that. I'll try and get some.
The sow with mites isn't one of the pregnant ones. And the little guys are already apart from the girls!

There is the possibilty of course that it isnt mites! if your vet cant treat them, how can he diagnose them? :o

Could be a fungal infection, or in the case of a new mummy sow, bi lateral hairloss is indicitive of a hormonal imbalance. Have you any pics of the problem areas or can you describe the symptoms and where the hairloss (if any) is occurring?

Sorry I think i've confused you. The sow I took to the vet had tests done and was diagnosed with mites. She and her companion were treated and she is now recovering.
The problem now is that he has no treatment for the rest of my pig because of their ages and the fact that some may be pregnant.
And I have just found lice on a couple and he doesnt have anything to treat any of them with with lice!

Ahhhh ok! that makes sense!

well as I say, it is worth a try emailing Chrissie, she may have a suggestion for you. Best of luck!

I had a similar problem, ask Chrissie - I think she said use the Lice n easy but don't leave it on like the instructions say, wash it straight off - but best to check with her.

Remember to clean the cages at the same time as cleaning the guineas otherwise there will be eggs that hatch and the cycle goes on. Lice n Easy shampoo is great but you do need to do the second shampoo a number of day later as per the instructions to stop the cycle

Sophie
x

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back