• Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Lice! Help!

JuliaGuineaPiggy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I’ve got two baby 7 week old piggies. after a day of having them I can see lice walking about on them. They’ve been on my carpet for floor time, how contagious are lice? Will my other guinea pigs now have them too because they’ve been on the same floor ? And will the lice now be on the floor? Panicking so so much and it’s making me go insane so any advice will be appreciated thank you x

Also, since all the shampoos say 12 weeks+, would brushing out the lice be any help at all?

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
As above, vet appointment soon. Are they quarantined in a separate room to your others? They need to be quarantined for two weeks. I’d also give them time to settle in for a week before giving them floor time.

JuliaGuineaPiggy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
As above, vet appointment soon. Are they quarantined in a separate room to your others? They need to be quarantined for two weeks. I’d also give them time to settle in for a week before giving them floor time.
No but they’re on completely other sides of the room. It’s the carpet I’m concerned about because they’ve all been on it. Just separately

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
Can you post a photo or link to a video?
Lice are very uncommon unless piggies have been kept in very poor surroundings and are in poor health.

JuliaGuineaPiggy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
I am not sure how long you have had these piggies. I would recommend taking the piggies to see a vet for diagnosis and treatment.
I’ve spent all night getting the lice out of their coat. There literally isn’t one that I can see with just my eyes. I’m still taking them to the vet ASAP. I got them from someone the other day, obviously a bad piggy owner. I really cannot believe they had that many poor babies

JuliaGuineaPiggy

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hopefully it will be easily treated. Were you picking them out?
Yep I was combing, picking, I even had tweezers and getting them with those. They worked very well actually. I worry so much about my pigs because they’re the most important things to me. I just love them and it breaks my heart to see them suffer

Betsy

Anniversary Herd
Reaction score
I’ve spent all night getting the lice out of their coat. There literally isn’t one that I can see with just my eyes. I’m still taking them to the vet ASAP. I got them from someone the other day, obviously a bad piggy owner. I really cannot believe they had that many poor babies
When is the appointment with the vet?

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
So these are new arrivals? I hope you’ve quarantined them in case they are harbouring any other nasties that could spread to your other piggies.