• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Lice On Baby Guineas.

Status
Not open for further replies.

lil860

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Was brushing my 4 baby guineas earlier and discovered they all have lice. They were not kept in the best conditions where i got them from and on straw.
I was told they were 8 weeks old. So roughly 12 weeks on the 4th June.
Ive just weighed them and they arnt even 500grams each. What am i best to treat them with? Lice and Easy shampoo or pipettes. As I'm not 100% sure on their ages i dont want to harm them. Or am i safer to take them all to the vets. I do have some older guineas in a separate cage will they need treating as well? Any advise welcome.

Hiya,

I would take them to the vets and get them checked over anyway :) I do it when I get new piggies just to be on the safe side. All four of my boars had them just before Christmas, not even in the same cage, it was more than like off of their hay.

If your other guinea's have been no where near them and you think the babies had mites when you got them, yours should be fine.

http://www.guinealynx.info/lice.html

Ive kept them separate they def have lice. Just unsure as the dont weigh 500 grams each one is a lot smaller. Also unsure of their ages. Dont want to harm them. They are a worry bless them.

Ahh in that case, definitely take them to the vets and see what the vet says :) Yeah guineas can be a worry when they get ill and other things wrong with them. I've got to take two of the boars back because we had to treat them again for mites, two lots of lice n easy 3 lots of drops and they are still itching although we can't see the black dust on Snow's rump any more.

My baby sow had a few lice when I first got her and as she was so small gorgeous guineas suggested 'wipe out flea wipes' over her coat which worked for me but she really did only have 2 or 3 that I could see so not a bad case of the little pests.

Was brushing my 4 baby guineas earlier and discovered they all have lice. They were not kept in the best conditions where i got them from and on straw.
I was told they were 8 weeks old. So roughly 12 weeks on the 4th June.
Ive just weighed them and they arnt even 500grams each. What am i best to treat them with? Lice and Easy shampoo or pipettes. As I'm not 100% sure on their ages i dont want to harm them. Or am i safer to take them all to the vets. I do have some older guineas in a separate cage will they need treating as well? Any advise welcome.

Please have them all seen by a vet; he should know which products are suitable for such small youngsters. healthy piggies may be able to fend off the lice, but you may want to treat them with a suitable shampoo like lice'n'easy to make sure if they are nearby.
We have got a piggy savvy vet locator on the top bar, in which we try to list the best vets for each area as much as possible.

I shall definately take them to the vet. Like i said I'm not 100% sure how old they are guy i got them off said 8 weeks? and one is so tiny she fits in the palm of my hand still. Runt maybe.

I have just rehomed 3 pigs and all of them have lice, you should definitely go to the vets due to their weight as there isn't a straightforward at-home solution. Also it may be worth buying a grooming kit which contains a metal small flat comb, I am currently using this to get the lice out of my pigs but along with the pipette treatments. Its quite satisfying actually, combing them out :nod: and also would help to tame your new guinea pigs :) hope this helps (unless they are a curly fur breed haha)

I shall definately take them to the vet. Like i said I'm not 100% sure how old they are guy i got them off said 8 weeks? and one is so tiny she fits in the palm of my hand still. Runt maybe.

Please have the little one checked (including her front AND back teeth).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back