• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Lice

Potterpig

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi there

Just looking for some advice please as we found lice on hagrid. I've treated him with ivermectin having spoken to the vet (all the pigs have been treated but can only see it on him)... What about all the stuff in the cage? I've disinfected and washed all the fleece on a hot wash, what about their log bridges etc? My logic is lice wouldn't leave the host unless it's onto another host, but I don't want to risk reinfection. Are the log bridges safe to put back in? Ps. I wanted to get lice and easy shampoo but nothing in stock.

Thank you!

Perfect thank you. I have the f10 stuff. So just wash it down, let it dry and pop or back in?

Perfect thank you. I have the f10 stuff. So just wash it down, let it dry and pop or back in?

If you’ve got wooden items, then I’d leave them to soak in it for a couple of hours, just to be sure?
But yes once dry you can just pop back in

Oh that's good to know that you! He's not been itching, I just spotted dandruff whilst having a cuddle and then saw them move. I've got enough left for another dose of ivermectin. How many days/weeks would you advise for another dose?

Ivermectin treatment should be 3 doses, 2 weeks apart, to ensure the problem is completely treated. Did the vet prescribe Xeno450? That is the most effective ivermectin treatment for piggies weighing over 1kg.

Lice are usually indicative of a health and well-being issue. So alongside full strength ivermectin at regular intervals I would actually recommend boosting the immune system with Vitamin C and perhaps some fibreplex to balance the guts to ensure gut wellbeing for optimal vitamin and mineral absorption.
Has he been unwell?

Yes it's xeno 450 😊 I have to go back Tuesday so I can get another three vials. I've got fibreplex from one my other pig had an operation I can give him. He's not been unwell, he's about 15 months old, but he's the stressiest pig ever. He hates our existence, chatters his teeth when we walk in the room! He is very testosteroney if you can describe a pig that way! He's 1050g in weight, he's quite small in stature but it's a little brick. We've had him since he was 7 weeks old. He's heavily reliant on his cage mate even though he gives it all the bravado!

This pig has bitten me and everything, he is nothing like my other pigs. If its a wellbeing issue I can only assume its because he's so stressy because they are very well looked after and I do take them to the vets.

This pig has bitten me and everything, he is nothing like my other pigs. If its a wellbeing issue I can only assume its because he's so stressy because they are very well looked after and I do take them to the vets.
The loss of his cage mate Woody recently wont have helped him 😪😪

😂 😂 😂 😂 Noooo you just got cross threaded. Buzz is in hiding but he's not got the lice. He's had the drops anyway. Only stressy hagrid with the lice. X

Hi there

Just looking for some advice please as we found lice on hagrid. I've treated him with ivermectin having spoken to the vet (all the pigs have been treated but can only see it on him)... What about all the stuff in the cage? I've disinfected and washed all the fleece on a hot wash, what about their log bridges etc? My logic is lice wouldn't leave the host unless it's onto another host, but I don't want to risk reinfection. Are the log bridges safe to put back in? Ps. I wanted to get lice and easy shampoo but nothing in stock.

Thank you!

Hi!

A normal good scrub and run in the washing machine should do the trick as lice can't survive off their host species body for long.

I usually dunk the tunnels into a basin with F10 concentrate solution and let them dry outside if possible during a deep clean, but any other disinfectant should also do with anything but ringworm.

Thank you everyone! So the tunnels went in the f10 and are now suspended on the washing line, I've binned the cardboard tunnels, and everything went in a hot wash. Cage wiped down with the f10. Thank you @artcasper for sending some f10! Should I be worried he's ill? He doesn't seem to be and we've been to the vet a lot in the last few weeks. Is it probably because he lives his life like an angry man 😔🙈 I checked his cage mate again and I can't see anything on him (Ron's white and ginger and hagrid is black and brown so it's probably harder to see on Ron) and I can't see anything on buzz who's my recently bereaved bestie boar who's currently a single. They all had the drops. X

Thank you everyone! So the tunnels went in the f10 and are now suspended on the washing line, I've binned the cardboard tunnels, and everything went in a hot wash. Cage wiped down with the f10. Thank you @artcasper for sending some f10! Should I be worried he's ill? He doesn't seem to be and we've been to the vet a lot in the last few weeks. Is it probably because he lives his life like an angry man 😔🙈 I checked his cage mate again and I can't see anything on him (Ron's white and ginger and hagrid is black and brown so it's probably harder to see on Ron) and I can't see anything on buzz who's my recently bereaved bestie boar who's currently a single. They all had the drops. X

Hi!

You always need to treat all guinea pigs in contact with an affected piggy. Lice are one of these opportunists that can make an appearance whenever the immune system is lowered, but a healthy companion should be able to fend them off pretty easily with a little help.

Please be aware that we do not support home care on spec and treating with low dosed broad spectrum pet shop brands.
New piggy problems: URI - ringworm - skin parasites

Back