• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info

Licking Piggie

Status
Not open for further replies.

Noa

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi! My 6 year old pig Fibi has been constantly licking me the past few months. I've had her out for lap time, been feeding her in her cage, and petting her in her cage and whenever she can she licks me! Any idea why?

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
They could be attempting to groom you or more than likely they like the taste of your fingers. I like to think its a sign of affection - piggy kisses

7squeakers.

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I like to think that piggie licking is a sign of affection, too. But sometimes I think it is nervousness. One of my more nervous piggies will lick my face when I pick her up. Yet her much less nervous sister does the same thing! Sometimes it seems like, between them, they'll lick me to death!

Freela

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
One of mine likes to obsessively lick our hands as well, and will even lick our face if we put our face down to her level. Some pigs do it more than others. I suspect it is either affection/grooming or the fact that our skin may taste salty, which they may like. My kids say they are 'piggy kisses.'

esstina

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I call this piggy kisses , my two girls kiss me all the time, although really its more likely that they like the taste of our skin. my stumpy also does this when she wants to let me know its wee wee time

Status
Not open for further replies.