Life is like a box of chocolates

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
you never know what you’re going to get. A box of hay is similar. Each new delivery is a voyage of discovery. This came in my latest delivery!

View attachment 155777

I hope it wasn’t an important part!
yes, it’s a very mixed bag nowadays with hay! Our last bale of hay which we buy directly came with loads and loads of tiny caterpillars which are quite natural but not nice walking around the bedroom walls :yikes:

Guineapigfeet

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
yes, it’s a very mixed bag nowadays with hay! Our last bale of hay which we buy directly came with loads and loads of tiny caterpillars which are quite natural but not nice walking around the bedroom walls :yikes:
Oh yuck! I’m not sure I could deal with that!

rp1993

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Wow! I’m glad we haven’t had an extras in our hay! Especially those caterpillars 🤢

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
I’ve had the occasional feather in mine but that is something else entirely!

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Oh yuck! I’m not sure I could deal with that!
We had to dispose of the hay bale to a lady who has a horse. Yes it was horrid, they were creeping around the skirting boards, carpet and ceiling. It took a few days for the penny to drop, I thought they must have been house moths :yikes: the type that eat your clothes and carpets until I cleaned the cages out and found masses all under the newspapers under the hay. It’s making me itch just thinking about it. Luckily the piggies are in the spare bedroom, they were completely oblivious to their housemates

Guineapigfeet

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
We had to dispose of the hay bale to a lady who has a horse. Yes it was horrid, they were creeping around the skirting boards, carpet and ceiling. It took a few days for the penny to drop, I thought they must have been house moths :yikes: the type that eat your clothes and carpets until I cleaned the cages out and found masses all under the newspapers under the hay. It’s making me itch just thinking about it. Luckily the piggies are in the spare bedroom, they were completely oblivious to their housemates
I feel all creepy just reading about it!

Guineapigfeet

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Yikes, that is something I definitely wouldn't expect to find in my hay. It's massive, I don't see how that got through the packing process undetected.
Have you told Haybox?
Not yet, but I will, just so they know. At least it’s not something than can contaminate the hay

Rivervixen

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
that’s what we had too, few caterpillars wiggling up the walls and it had me on edge, couldn’t stand looking at them :(