• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Lighting in Garage?

PuineaGigs03

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello, I got my two boys late Spring this year and they've been living in a hutch outside since then.
As it's starting to get colder I want to move them into the garage over the winter - I have a 6ft hutch and run to go in there, and chairs in there to hold them every day, so they would have plenty of space.
But - my garage doesn't have any windows. It has a light that I could leave on in the day, but I'm worried about them not getting sunlight. I could leave the door open when I'm in there, but would that be enough?
I'd be grateful for any advice.

I would be worried about them not getting any natural light (for vitamin d).
I think if you could find a way to leave the door open so natural light comes in for extended periods (but without making them cold) it may help.
@Betsy keeps her piggies in a garage but I’m not sure whether it has windows but she may be able to help
(Mine live in a shed which does have several windows)

I could definitely leave the door open during the weekends and late afternoon/evening when I get home, but not during the main part of the day. Do you think this would be enough? Also, do you think it would be beneficial to leave a light on in there at night time?
I don't have any room in my house so I'm split between leaving them outside in the hutch or in the garage. It's a tricky one!

I could definitely leave the door open during the weekends and late afternoon/evening when I get home, but not during the main part of the day. Do you think this would be enough? Also, do you think it would be beneficial to leave a light on in there at night time?
I don't have any room in my house so I'm split between leaving them outside in the hutch or in the garage. It's a tricky one!

The thing is, it’s dark not long after 4pm midwinter so they wouldn’t get much/any opportunity for sunlight if you can only leave it open late afternoon/evening.

Leaving the light on during the night would not be necessary at all.

It’s tricky though because of course being out of wind and rain is also important!

As @Claire W and @Piggies&buns have said, my piggies are in the garage. It's alot better in there than outside as they are out of the wind, rain and damp of winter and it is generally around 3-5 degrees warmer in there than outside. There is a large window at the back of the garage and I keep the personnel door open all day which links onto the lean to/shack thing at the back of the house laughingly known as the Sun Lounge (It will be converted next year to a very posh Conservatory). The piggies get natural day light through that and the window. There is no need to leave the light on all night.

So would you suggest that I put them in the garage for winter? The door can be left open on days when there's someone at home, and when I'm feeding or cuddling them. I can leave a light in there during the day when the door can't be open, and turn it off at night?

Def put them in the garage for the winter if at all possible (no car in garage). You still need to keep them warm with extra hay, snugglesafes etc but they will be out of the worst of the weather.

Back