• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Lillith Is Very Sick. Anyways I Can Keep Her Comfortable?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Sarah-sore

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hi everyone. Long time no talk. Its a sad day in my household. I hate to say it but I dont think Lillith has much time left with me :( Shes a verryyyy sick piggie and I'm afraid its too late for her. I was just wondering what I can do to help make her last bit of time with me as comfortable as possible?
I'm not even too sure what happened. One day she was perfectly fine, and then today when I went to give the carrots she wouldn't even come out of her hut. She has been losing hair a bit but I just figured she's old! I feel like a fool now. I should have taken her to a vet.
Anyways. Shes an old girl, probably 6 years old now. I've had her for 3. She doesnt like being moved AT ALL. Its almost like she is in pain. When she does move, she has serious issues doing so. She also random twitches which leads me to believe she had a stroke or something neurological has happened.. All the spark is gone from her eyes. I dont want to leave her in the cage because she shivers violently. I have her wrapped up in two towels on my chest and I'm keeping her warm for now. Is there ANYTHING else at all I can do other than wait for the inevitable?
*Also, when she was in the cage, the other two girlies(Rusty and Allie) would come over to her and check up on her, give her piggie kisses, and try to sit with her. This is heartbreaking. Should I be holding them too with her to say goodbye? I just want to know if I can do anything more to make her last bit of time more comfortable.

Oh I'm so sorry. Is there any way that you can get her to an out of hours vet? Or can you call your usual vets for advice? I see that you are in Canada, and I know that is a bigger country than the UK and that vets are not necessarily close by where you live. In the UK we have night time emergency vets services, but I dont know how it works in Canada.

HUGS

I am very sorry; it is always even more difficult on a weekend! :(

Please let the other piggies check on her and sit with her. Keep her as comfy and warm as you can (which you are doing).

Have you got metacam or some other painkiller at home to see whether she can still process it? Otherwise, try to get some baby/infant tylenol and give 0.2 ml. We normally do not recommend home treating with human medication; these are excaptional circumstances.

I do not know how good your vet access is and whether you have got an out-of-hours service where you are in Canada. If you can, please have her seen as an emergency. You may be able to find weekend/night coverage via your regular vet's answering machine.
Personally, I usually have a piggy put to sleep (pts or euthanasia) that is in major discomfort while its body is obviously closing down, but I sit with it and let it pass either in the company of her friends or with me, depending on the reaction of her companions if it is not in pain.

Here is more information on euthanasia in case you wish to:
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk...t-happens-when-its-time-to-say-goodbye.89716/
Here are some more tips for her companions:
https://www.theguineapigforum.co.uk/threads/looking-after-a-bereaved-piggy.110463/

Old piggies do not lose their fur; but they can be hit hard by mange mites etc. due to a lowered immune system or they can have ovarian cyst issues.

I agree with Goth Mummy that getting her to an emergency vet would be the best option if you have access to one.

Thank you everyone for your help. As I suspected Lillith ended passing away tonight. She passed away on me while I was holding her. I ended up giving her the infant tylenol and that seemed to calm her down a bit. Once again thank you for your help.

I'm really sorry to read your post and now see that sweet Lillith has travelled to the bridge :(:(:(
RIP Lillith run free at the bridge, enjoy nibbling your fav veggies and popcorn thru the lush green meadows. Hugs xxxxxxxxxxxxx
Another little star now twinkling in the sky ........:(

Thank you everyone for your help. As I suspected Lillith ended passing away tonight. She passed away on me while I was holding her. I ended up giving her the infant tylenol and that seemed to calm her down a bit. Once again thank you for your help.
I'm sorry :( Poor Lilith, at least you were able to be with her at the very end :soz:

I am very sorry for your loss! It is always a very heart-breaking experience. I hope that you, Rustie and Allie are OK?

You are always welcome to write a tribute to Lillith in our Rainbow Bridge section whenever it feels right for you.

I'm really sorry for your loss. I went through a really similar experience with Linney (also age 6 when she passed) a month or so ago, and I know how hard it is. Many ((HUGS)) to you.

Thank you everyone for your kind words.
I am very sorry for your loss! It is always a very heart-breaking experience. I hope that you, Rustie and Allie are OK?

You are always welcome to write a tribute to Lillith in our Rainbow Bridge section whenever it feels right for you.
Thank you, were doing okay. The girlies are fighting a lot more tho. They walk past eachother and are rumble strutting and purring up a storm. Lillith usually calmed them down when they did that. They both have a separate blanket that Lillith was wrapped in and they lay on it. Its heartbreaking but we'll be okay.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back