• UK storm warning - Danger of unseasonal high winds and falling trees! Please secure any hutches and sheds, and bring your guinea pigs and rabbits indoors if possible! Click Here for info

Litter Box Training

Status
Not open for further replies.

KaylerRae

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hey! I see alot of everyones piggies have a box in the corner for the piggies bathroom. I was thinking about doi ng the same with the rest of there cage lined with a material just like i see throughout pictures of your cages. I am new to piggies. Do they need alot of training to use the litter box or is it natural for them to go to the box? Seems easier than having a cage full of shavings. What kind of litter/shavings/etc do yall prefer in your boxes. I have a 6 week and 8 week old girl I'm picking up today

sport_billy

Administrator
Staff member
Reaction score
Hi

Good luck, I have trained our piggies to poo everywhere :)) Some people manage to keep it in one place a little more by positioning tray under there hay, piggies often poo and eat the same time. But I would doubt you could ever litter train a piggy.

Oh and never use any type of litter for piggies it is toxic and dangerous.

How are your piggies getting on?

Cat906

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I was so optimistic because in their hutch they only wee in the corners. Same as in their pen (although this is a hexagon so they use all 6 corners). As soon as I put fleece into the pen and a litter tray with shavings they decided to go everywhere! I don't mind the poos- just wish I could get them to stop weeing on the fleece!

eightieselle

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
After reading these replies I'm thinking I might get rid of the boys' litter tray and replace it with something they will actually use! Takes up too much cage space to stay unused x

Status
Not open for further replies.