• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Litter training tips

Reaction score
i’ve heard a lot about little training guinea pigs my two girls are pretty good at it but they do have accidents sometimes I’m about to introduce a boy who will be neutered in about a month so I’m wondering if you guys have any tips on litter training

Piggies can’t be litter trained. They will go where they eat so sat under a hayrack in a litter tray but it’s incidental rather than training, but they will just pee and poop everywhere - they don’t have accidents for that reason

As per your other post, if your new baby is only a few weeks old, then he won’t be able to be neutered for many months (neutering doesn’t normally take place until they are closer 4-6 months of age).

I don’t exactly agree with your point on litter training It’s not easy but it can definitely be done and my girls are pretty good at it asked for my boy he’s a month and a half old not a few weeks

I don’t exactly agree with your point on litter training It’s not easy but it can definitely be done and my girls are pretty good at it asked for my boy he’s a month and a half old not a few weeks
It is almost impossible to be completely done. My three are pretty good about only using their litter boxes, but guinea pigs poop and pee where they sleep regardless of litter-training. I am pretty sure that they use the restroom while they sleep (someone please confirm this) which is why you cannot prevent it from happening. What kind of bedding do you use? You may not be seeing pee marks in their bedding.
In terms of tips, you can pick up the poops that they make outside of the litter box and place them inside of the litter box. You can mark and reward (congratulate the piggy for going in their litter box with a piece of veggie).
Just please keep in mind that if they are pretty well litter-trained now, they will likely grow out of it. Mo and Stubbins would only go inside of their litter box (aside from under hideys) at one point. They actually grew out of it, though. From my experience, young piggies are more curious, which makes attempting to litter train seem easy, but by the time they reach their teenage months, keeping up with their litter habits is almost impossible!
I hope that this helped!

It is almost impossible to be completely done. My three are pretty good about only using their litter boxes, but guinea pigs poop and pee where they sleep regardless of litter-training. I am pretty sure that they use the restroom while they sleep (someone please confirm this) which is why you cannot prevent it from happening. What kind of bedding do you use? You may not be seeing pee marks in their bedding.
In terms of tips, you can pick up the poops that they make outside of the litter box and place them inside of the litter box. You can mark and reward (congratulate the piggy for going in their litter box with a piece of veggie).
Just please keep in mind that if they are pretty well litter-trained now, they will likely grow out of it. Mo and Stubbins would only go inside of their litter box (aside from under hideys) at one point. They actually grew out of it, though. From my experience, young piggies are more curious, which makes attempting to litter train seem easy, but by the time they reach their teenage months, keeping up with their litter habits is almost impossible!
I hope that this helped!

Yes, correct. They poop in their sleep

I’ve kept piggies and buns for well over 20 years. And I have house trained buns so that they never had a single poop or wee anywhere except in their litter trays (including in their run on the grass) and I have never managed to litter train any of my many piggies fully.

i’ve heard a lot about little training guinea pigs my two girls are pretty good at it but they do have accidents sometimes I’m about to introduce a boy who will be neutered in about a month so I’m wondering if you guys have any tips on litter training

I very much doubt that your intended baby boar can be neutered in a month. He will still be far too young.

I hope that this helped!

:agr: They do pee and poo in their sleep. I learned that the hard way when Pewter nearly peed in my face while she was curled up on the sofa with me having a snooze 😂😂

Back