• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Litter tray and fleece

Hbecooper

Junior Guinea Pig
So ive recently changed over to fleece and all is well. I have a hay rack with a litter tray underneath which has a fleece absorbant pad inside which i also then fill with hay, girls will eat from the rack but boar wont and he likes to sleep in it too. My question is, is there a better way to do the litter tray? The pad with 3 pigs feels so heavy after 24hrs that I'm not sure its really practical to buy lots of them and change daily, plus hay bits getting stuck in the fleece pad i never feel they are fully clean. Can anyone else make suggestions of what they do with a fleece cage and litter tray or is what I'm doing just normal lol? Any suggestions would be great as thw litter tray isnt stopping a large amount of pooping around the cage is is there peeing as they dont tend to do it anywhere but the tray so i can get a little longer out of the liners. Thanks

Lucyy82

Junior Guinea Pig
So ive recently changed over to fleece and all is well. I have a hay rack with a litter tray underneath which has a fleece absorbant pad inside which i also then fill with hay, girls will eat from the rack but boar wont and he likes to sleep in it too. My question is, is there a better way to do the litter tray? The pad with 3 pigs feels so heavy after 24hrs that I'm not sure its really practical to buy lots of them and change daily, plus hay bits getting stuck in the fleece pad i never feel they are fully clean. Can anyone else make suggestions of what they do with a fleece cage and litter tray or is what I'm doing just normal lol? Any suggestions would be great as thw litter tray isnt stopping a large amount of pooping around the cage is is there peeing as they dont tend to do it anywhere but the tray so i can get a little longer out of the liners. Thanks
I am having same issues, can you put a pic of yours up?

Hensa

Junior Guinea Pig
I use fleece but in the litter trays I use Finacard or carefree layer before adding the hay and clean out as required . I did use a newspaper lining at first but it kept being pulled out! A fleece pad would get to wet too quickly in my opinion.

Hailz81

Junior Guinea Pig
I'm the same with fleece thought it would be great but i cant take to it. Ive used it now inside the piggy house and saw dust/chippings for the rest but its ended up a mess insideas well now 🤦🏼‍♀️ Not realku sure where to go! Ronaldo is a messy pig too so that isbt helping. X

Flutterby

PHOTO COMPETITION WINNER
Forum Donator 2017/18
I used litter trays with bedmax shaving in the bottom, then piled with hay.

Seven7

Junior Guinea Pig
I put pee-pads under their hay rack, then they stack hay on top of their pee-pad then pee/poo. Pee-pads are put in several different places around their cages to make the cleaning easier. I just lift up the pee-pad and wash it.

Pee-pads go on top of their regular fleece lining and they get changed frequently, every two to three days. I can leave their fleece lining up to 5-7 day with frequent changes of pee-pads.

The entire cage gets a full wash with hot water every 5-7 days, and wiped down with vinegar.
Vinegar is used to disinfect their pee-pads and fleece lining after I wash the fleece beddings with hot water.

flowerfairy

Forum Donator 2017/18
I use cage liners with mats on top in their bed area.

They also have hay trays lined with hemp bedding from zooplus and lots of hay. These trays are on shallow grow bag trays lined with newspaper. I change the trays every couple of days and shake out the cage liners and mats each day and change when wet.

Hay trays

Bed area

Seven7

Junior Guinea Pig
I should also mention I make vinegar water and soak the fleece beddings, and pee-pads in it for a bit. I feel like this cleans off the bacteria from pee and poo.

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
Hi.. i use fleece in my c&c cage and i use a cat litter tray for their hay - i line the tray with several sheets of newspaper then a nice thick layer of fitch bedding ( about £22 for a huge bag which lasts me around 2 mnths or more) then top with lots of hay - this gets changed twice a day.. works great for me.

Hbecooper

Junior Guinea Pig
The pad i use is a small liner so a pee pad but they wee loads in the litter tray. It literally is sopping wet after about 24- 48hrs maybw ill just have to get lots more of them as they tend to rip out newspaper and they tend to kick out carefresh :/ They love the tray to be like a bed too hence having the wall hayfeeder aswell x

Attachments