Litter tray bedding

gmsong

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have a cardboard box as a litter tray and I'm wondering if its ok to use aspen paper bedding in it? Also I use fleece bedding for the cage.

Swissgreys

Staff member
Reaction score
You can use paper bedding, but I don't think your box will last long!
It will get soggy and smelly pretty quickly.

I use a plastic box with a dropped side to make it easy for the piggies to hop in and out.
I line the bottom with newspaper and then put large piles of hay on top - they spend ages in there munching and nesting, and I would day it catches around 80% of their wee.

gmsong

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
can I put a plastic bag over the box so it doesn't get very wet?

artcasper

*Rescue Buddy*
Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
can I put a plastic bag over the box so it doesn't get very wet?
I would not advise that as they might eat it. Try a plastic cat litter tray, line with paper and hay then it can be washed..

PigglePuggle

Forum Donator 2019/20
Reaction score
A plastic bag is a bad idea, the piggies would eat it... you either need a plastic tray or to replace your cardboard box once or probably twice a week! We have Rosewood corner rabbit litter trays that we fill with hay and the piggies wee and poop mainly in there (I am lying, they wee and poop everywhere because they are guinea pigs, but more goes in the trays than on the fleece!). Sometimes they get cardboard boxes full of hay too and they have a hay room lined with newspaper then paper bedding then lots of floor hay. If they get a cardboard box its so soggy the bottom dissolves and falls of in 2-3 days...

gmsong

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Does anyone know a tray that has the dimensions of 8.5 (can be tiny bit less) by 13 inch?