• You can find lots of information on how to settle in, understand your new guinea pigs in our New Owners Guide Collection but please ask any questions you have in Wannabe and New Owners' section.

Litter tray/ veggies

Gemamy84

New Born Pup
Hi all,

Myself, husband and five year old son are the new owners of Pancake and Waffle! We’ve been reading up on all things guinea pig, but seeing a lot of people saying they have a litter tray. Can someone in layman terms tell me what I need for this and where in the cage to put it.

Also, any tips for new veggies to try at first? They’ve had carrots, leafy greens, water cress and spinach so far, alongside Timothy hay and pets at home pellets.

Any advice would be much appreciated,
Gemma ☺️

Gemamy84

New Born Pup

Piggies&buns

Junior Guinea Pig
I just wanted to say, that I am sure there are lots of piggies who will use a litter tray but there are also plenty who won’t so don’t stress about it if it doesn’t work! Just put the tray where you notice they are going to the toilet more often. It can sometimes help to put Some of their poops in the tray so they get the hint!
My two boys will not entertain the idea of even trying to be a bit tidy when it comes to toilet habits! Their theory is do it everywhere and anywhere because mummy likes the clearing up as it gives her something to do!

Betsy

Forum Donator 2017/18
Welcome to the forum. My piggies also poop and pee everywhere. They especially like to do this in the hay that they then eat 😀
Oh yes, mine prefer poop and wee tasting hay better than the fresh stuff that is always available I have come to the conclusion that it must taste nicer if you are a piggy!