• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Litter Tray

Status
Not open for further replies.

Cat906

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
My pigs live in a hutch and I use shavings and hay for bedding. I try to bring them inside as much as possible for time in their pen. The pen has a waterproof nylon base which is great since I use it on my carpet. I'm considering putting some fleece down as when they really get speed up the can skid a little. They do have a fleecy snuggle thing which they love.

Anyway the big problem is that once they wee inside the pen, because the base is waterproof it just sits there and if I don't clean it up straight away my poor piggies get wet bottoms. And I'm starting to run out of kitchen roll! So I'd like to put in a litter tray in the hope that they will wee in it and leave the rest of the pen dry. In the hutch they always wee in the same corners. I will put in two trays as they like to wee in their own space. But what should I put into the trays to encourage them to wee in that place? They don't wee in their fleece snuggle or in their bed.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    375.7 KB · Views: 9
Unfortunately piggies are hard to litter train. You could do with some fleece and towels.
I am sure hay will attract them to the certain area.

I'm hopeful because they always go in the same corner both in the hutch and in the pen. I could be being very optimistic! A good tip about the hay as well. Just wondering if I should put shavings in the trays or maybe carefresh?

I'm hopeful because they always go in the same corner both in the hutch and in the pen. I could be being very optimistic! A good tip about the hay as well. Just wondering if I should put unstable shavings in the trays or maybe carefresh?
You could try that. :)

Mine wee in their litter trays where their hay is, they do wee other places too, but defently more in the hay

I'm not as lucky with that- they go everywhere. :D

I'd use wood shavings, since if it's like where I am, Carefresh is expensive at times. I don't mean to stray off topic, but the piggies go right at the back of the cage where it's hard to reach, so I'm going to get litter trays to pull out for cleaning day, do you get the corner ones from P@H or rectangle like ones from somewhere else?

You can get fairly big plastic litter trays from pound land. My piggies are brilliant at litter training, just make sure that the bedding in the litter tray is different from in the pen otherwise they will be confused! A hay rack above the litter tray will encourage them and tumblefresh is brill : no mess or smell for as long as a week!

I use Fitch bedding in my guinea pigs litter trays and they find it comfortable so go in their themselves :) i also hang a hay bag above it which means they have to get in the litter tray as they eat. Since using the litter tray i have found they do pretty much all of their wees in the tray and a mojority of poops. But of course piggies are pooping machines so i still clean their fleece at least twice a day ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back