• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Litter Trays?!

Status
Not open for further replies.

GinaG

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
ive just set up a new 2x4 C&C cage and in the old set up I had 2 corner litter trays filled with hay which they seemed to use and I cleaned every day. I've not put anything in their new set up yet and I'm wondering if I need to put litter trays in at all as I'm trying to give them as much space as possible. Currently they have little soft houses and a box with hay in it.

If you're using fleece or something similar (or any bedding I guess), it would probably help a great deal with spot cleaning. I don't think you'll need it unless you have extra messy piggies or don't have the time to spot clean everywhere however many times a day :) if they're generally small, though, and don't take up a huge amount of room, it may be worth keeping them in.

I love having a litter tray as it does seem to catch a lot of the pee and poops, but I also understand why you want to give them a maximum amount of space too.
Maybe try without for a couple of weeks and see how you get on?
And don't forget to post pics of the new set up - I love seeing what others have done with their cages.

Hoping these photos work...so I put a kitten kitty litter tray in there tonight (not the little carrot house shown in the picture) & they promptly threw all the hay out and knocked it upside down, the little both can't fit into it at the same time, which caused some squabbling, they both obviously like to get right into the hay and burrow about Is it better to lose some of the length of the cage by dedicating a section to, for want of a better phrase, a hay pit? Or just embrace the chaos of upturned trays?!

IMG_1555.JPG

IMG_1556.JPG

What a gorgeous set up. I have a 32litre storage box as a litter tray in a 150 x 70cm indoor cage. Not sure how it will be received cos not got the piggies yet!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back