• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Little Black Flies

Status
Not open for further replies.

PappisnDemba

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Have noticed loads of tiny black flies in the room where we keep the guinea pigs. They seem to cluster around the door and windows but have also seen the odd one in their cage . I've done a little bit if research - could they be fruit flies? If so, how do I get rid of them? Can they hurt the guineas. Many thanks x

Oh no fruit flies are a nightmare to get rid of. You have to lay traps like bottles filled with water and honey to entice them and hope they drown. I would buy fly paper too. I should not think they will bother the pigs.

Yupp we usually get them in the summer and they multiply so quick it's a never ending battle i usually get the fly paper too! lots of it! But none of my guinea pigs have ever had any harm to them, so i think you should be safe! :)

Also, don't know if this is relevant to you but i know our big issue with getting them is because our flat is right next to the communal bins so we have to try our best to keep the windows shut because everytime we get rid of them they come flooding back in. So if there's bins near by bear that one in mind! :)

My gosh, ive got these in my room the last couple of days too! So odd ive just found this thread.
Irritating little things.

I don't know where they came from. I was worried the smell of the pigs was attracting them, but like everyone else, they are spot cleaned daily and kept very clean ect. So I don't know.

Looks like I'm getting myself some fly paper!

Fruit flies are such a nuisance! Very hard to get rid of and a real pain in the butt, but they aren't harmful to people or animals. Fly paper may help. I also put apple cider vinegar in a glass, put plastic wrap over the top of the glass, and punch holes in the plastic wrap with a fork. They are attracted by the smell, fly in through the holes, and drown or are trapped. They make fruit fly traps that operate under the same principle, but my way is cheaper!

Problem solved! Hubby cleaned out utility room and uncovered an open bag of compost pushed behind barbecue! It was teaming with flies - so pleased we've found the source!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back