• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Little cough

Status
Not open for further replies.

CiaraPatricia

Adult Guinea Pig
Reaction score
So a few days ago I heard my boar Cenci cough, twice in a few minutes, like this little cough like he had something stuck in his throat. Thought nothing of it really.

But then yesterday, I heard Lola cough. She was in his cage (he was out on the grass, and I was cleaning the girls' cage so put them in his cage!) but his cage had just been cleaned, and she did the exact same type of cough, just once.

It could have been cos I was moving wood shavings around so it was a little dusty (even though they're not that dusty, but you know there's always some dust). It was probably from that cos I find them a little dusty when I've first put in fresh ones, then it settles down after a little while.

And I wouldn't really think anything of it, but I'd never heard a cough from them before and then heard three!

They've no other symptoms at all, and seem fine, just wondering if anyone else has heard little coughs and if it can be normal or could be a sign of some illness coming on. I'm keeping an eye on them all, and they seem fine.

If it gets worse then I'll change their bedding (and obviously take them to the vet) but I can't really think of anything to change to except hay and that's not very practical, and then I'll be constantly sneezing in their shed :))

Well I guess there are a couple of other beddings I could get, just more expensive :)

I'll see anyway, anyone ever heard a cough from a guinea pig?

Hi. Yes, I sometimes hear my guinea girl cough. Just occasionally and it sounds really strange. I couldn't believe my ears the first time I heard it. I have checked her each time and she is fine. She is very large, lives with another girl, and they are bedded on shavings and hay. It could be a bit of dust in either the shavings or hay, but I think as long as there are no other symptoms, and no nasal discharge, you can safely assume it is just a case of dust.:)

So a few days ago I heard my boar Cenci cough, twice in a few minutes, like this little cough like he had something stuck in his throat. Thought nothing of it really.

But then yesterday, I heard Lola cough. She was in his cage (he was out on the grass, and I was cleaning the girls' cage so put them in his cage!) but his cage had just been cleaned, and she did the exact same type of cough, just once.

It could have been cos I was moving wood shavings around so it was a little dusty (even though they're not that dusty, but you know there's always some dust). It was probably from that cos I find them a little dusty when I've first put in fresh ones, then it settles down after a little while.

And I wouldn't really think anything of it, but I'd never heard a cough from them before and then heard three!

They've no other symptoms at all, and seem fine, just wondering if anyone else has heard little coughs and if it can be normal or could be a sign of some illness coming on. I'm keeping an eye on them all, and they seem fine.

If it gets worse then I'll change their bedding (and obviously take them to the vet) but I can't really think of anything to change to except hay and that's not very practical, and then I'll be constantly sneezing in their shed :))

Well I guess there are a couple of other beddings I could get, just more expensive :)

I'll see anyway, anyone ever heard a cough from a guinea pig?

Yes our boy Sully ended up being allergic to some of the hay! had to be really careful........i was stupidly bying the cr*p from the pet store.....yup i know better now!! Had to put them onto towels and hay only in their hay rack area :)

Hope you sort it out...........might be best to see your vets for a check up?

Last edited:
One of my girls will cough very occasionally- with her it's usually when she gets a plate of fresh greens. In her cause I think she is gobbling it down so fast that something gets stuck.

Thanks guys :) It's good to know it can happen :) I'm sure they're not sick, but will keep a close eye on them.

I dunno what my vet could do for that, except listen to their chests, but I am training to be a vet nurse and have a stethoscope so maybe I can have a listen myself :)) I know I'm not a vet, but I do know what to listen for, so will check their breathing sounds good :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back