Living out his days as a single piggie

Nic bee

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Don't know what to do, one of my beautiful boys passed away in June and now I'm left with just one neutered male. He's 5.5yrs old and I hate seeing him looking lonely. He's not lost weight but seems to have lost his sparkle. I would get him another except my circumstances have changed greatly and I now travel a lot so having guinea pigs isn't easy and I think once my boy goes I won't get anymore...
I'm conscious he could live with us another 3 years though and that seems a long time to be on his own. I've tried local rescues to get a pig a similar age but noone has anyone...
Wwyd? I can't give him away my children and me would be devastated but I don't want to get a young piggie... X

Freya1234

Teenage Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am so sorry for your loss❤
I think some rescues offer a foster service where they will give you a piggy as a companion for your piggy and then you give them their piggy back once your piggy has passed, with your boy being neutered you obviously have more options as you can have either a boar or a sow.
I have also linked some guides that I think you may find useful.

Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig
Human Bereavement - Grieving, coping and support for guinea pig owners and their children
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities

Nic bee

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I am so sorry for your loss❤
I think some rescues offer a foster service where they will give you a piggy as a companion for your piggy and then you give them their piggy back once your piggy has passed, with your boy being neutered you obviously have more options as you can have either a boar or a sow.
I have also linked some guides that I think you may find useful.

Looking After A Bereaved Guinea Pig
Human Bereavement - Grieving, coping and support for guinea pig owners and their children
Single Guinea Pigs - Challenges and Responsibilities
Thank you... I'll look at those links x

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi and welcome

I am very sorry for your loss

If you have access to one of our recommended rescues, please speak to them (any you can get to) about possible companionship options, depending on whether you would like to continue with piggies or not. Some rescues will help with end of life companionship where the adopted piggy reverts to the rescue.
Rescue Locator

Nic bee

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
I have
Hi and welcome

I am very sorry for your loss

If you have access to one of our recommended rescues, please speak to them (any you can get to) about possible companionship options, depending on whether you would like to continue with piggies or not. Some rescues will help with end of life companionship where the adopted piggy reverts to the rescue.
Rescue Locator
Hi thanks for your reply, I have contacted a couple on that list, thank you.

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
I have

Hi thanks for your reply, I have contacted a couple on that list, thank you.
Fingers firmly crossed!

As my Calli has shown when she came here as an increasingly depressed bereaved 7 year old, no piggy is ever too old for company; either live-in or through the bars. Without the company she would not have lived to celebrate her 9th birthday even though it took 10 months until she and fellow old bereaved diva Tegan (the baby in my avatar picture) consented to moving in with each other and then regularly ended up snuggled up together in the same cosy...
I have told their story in Guinea Pig Magazine, issue 45. Guinea Pig Magazine

She was the oldest, but my not my only golden oldies widowed adoptee.

Nic bee

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Well he got a wife yesterday... We're all in love with her, especially my boar.. she's not so sure, no aggression but she keeps running from him... I got her from a rescue, she's 4 years old. I'm hoping they settle down soon.. I've read all the bonding guides and pages on sows! Thanks xx ps I'm so glad we got another! I'm in love with her though, no way I could return her ever 😍🤣

Bill & Ted

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Well he got a wife yesterday... We're all in love with her, especially my boar.. she's not so sure, no aggression but she keeps running from him... I got her from a rescue, she's 4 years old. I'm hoping they settle down soon.. I've read all the bonding guides and pages on sows! Thanks xx ps I'm so glad we got another! I'm in love with her though, no way I could return her ever 😍🤣
Aw, that’s such lovely news! Well done you for putting your little chaps interests first X

Wiebke

Staff member
Reaction score
Hi!

Thank you for the update. It is always great when things work out and you see your single piggy having their sparkle back!
The reaction is normal for a sow not in season. As she is not aggressive, she would have likely submitted to his dominance humping upon introduction but sows will generally only allow themselves to be humped when they are ready to mate at the end of their season. Please be aware that the complex bonding process lasts for around two weeks after the introduction; the first few days of the dominance phase are always the more dramatic ones when the established group hierarchy is settled in detail.

Please brace yourself for lots of drama during their first few seasons. The shared excess of emotion will serve to bond them even closer and you should see them confirm their bond on the day after if it is a very happy one.

More information:
Bonding and Interaction: Illustrated social behaviours and bonding dynamics
Sows: Behaviour and female health problems (including ovarian cysts)
When Sows Experience A Strong Season (videos)

All the best!

Nic bee

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Feeling very happy right now- although a bit apprehensive, new to sows and seasons 😲 thank goodness for this forum x