Living outside

BVN82

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hello. I am looking into getting guinea pigs for my 10 year old daughter. However they would not be able to live in the house as we don't have space. We do have an unused outside playhouse. So I plan to insulate the ceiling and upper walls with polestyrene(out of nibbling reach) then put the hutch inside with insulation over it. What else would I need? Maybe line the floor and lower walls with chicken wire to prevent nibbling through? Also I have seen another post about this but no rescues I have looked at will allow outside living so is Pets at Home our only choice?!

Siikibam

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
Rescues won’t allow you to home them outside at this point because it’s a little late to be putting them out if they’ve been used to living indoors. I don’t think PAH would ask where you’re planning to house them, but I would strongly suggest against getting them there. You may just have to wait till next year when it’s warmer if you want to put them straight out.

For the floor you would need something solid. They shouldn’t walk on chicken wire or wire of any sort. How big is the playhouse and is it wood or plastic?

Those with more experience will be along to give you more guidance.

miowmix

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
IMHO it's so much better to have them indoors if you can - safe from predators and fluctuations in temperature. You can watch their behaviour and bond with them better and more likely to notice any health issues etc. Please be really honest with yourself and think whether you will be bothered to go out everyday to feed and spend time with the pigs, even when it's cold. If they are for your daughter you have to be prepared to take on the responsibility if she gets bored. I work in a rescue and there's always a waiting list of people wanting to surrender their pigs because the kids have got bored with them. Props to you for coming on here and doing research.

BVN82

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi. It's a wooden playhouse. About 5 ft by 3 ft at a guess. The problem with a November birthday I suppose, that it is getting cold! Our only alternative would be bringing them in but in a smaller cage overnight but I have read you can't keep moving them about. If you guys definitely say no to the playhouse idea we will wait til spring!

BVN82

New Born Pup
Reaction score
IMHO it's so much better to have them indoors if you can - safe from predators and fluctuations in temperature. You can watch their behaviour and bond with them better and more likely to notice any health issues etc. Please be really honest with yourself and think whether you will be bothered to go out everyday to feed and spend time with the pigs, even when it's cold. If they are for your daughter you have to be prepared to take on the responsibility if she gets bored. I work in a rescue and there's always a waiting list of people wanting to surrender their pigs because the kids have got bored with them. Props to you for coming on here and doing research.
Thank you! I had guinea pigs as a child and my parents had no clue! I dont think we looked after them properly and hate to think they suffered. I think she would do it but also yes I accept it would actually be my responsibility to make sure they are cared for. I would actually re arrange outmr whole house for them but my hubby is not keen!

Lady Kelly

Staff member
Reaction score
It's really not the time to be getting outdoor piggies. Mine live outdoors and I generally consider rehoming time to be April-Sept depending on temperatures at either end as April can still be cold and sometimes late sept can still be hot. Some rescues will rehome in spring to suitable outdoor accommodation but just remember they have to draw a line somewhere.
Bringing them in at night would result in too many high fluctuations in temp throughout the day

Piggies&buns

Forum Donator 2020/21
Reaction score
:agr:
Mine live outside in a shed also and it takes a lot of work to keep them warm in winter and cool enough in summer, but I agree with Lady Kelly , it’s not the right time to year to get piggies who will need to live outside.

VickiA

Staff member
Reaction score
Our rescue will not rehome to outdoor homes at this time of the year, and we are not alone in this. Sadly pet shops and breeders will sell piggies to you at any time of year, but the reality is that piggies shouldn't really be put into outdoor homes at this time of year as it is already too cold for them.

I look back in horror at the way I kept piggies and bunnies in the past. Most of us do. But we knew no better. I was treated as a bit of a freak when I first had a them living indoors about 25 years ago. But medicine, welfare and husbandry have all moved on in the last 20 years. I remember losing a guinea pig to a UTI about 20 years ago. The antibiotics were working but she just "gave up". Years later I realised it was because she was in intense pain and in those days vets didn't give pain relief to guinea pigs. 20 years on the same antibiotics at the same dose but given with pain relief result mean I have never lost a guinea pig to a simple UTI.