• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here

Living Room Vs Under The Stairs?

Kimmy Schmidt

New Born Pup
Reaction score
Hi, I am doing my head in now trying to decide on an option for new indoor accommodation for our bereaved boar Alfie and one or two new friends. If anyone has any opinions on the following two options that would help me decide? They would both offer a reasonable amount of space but have different pros and cons. Key factors are child-proofing (3-year old boy) and that business clients sometimes visit the house.

Option 1 - in the living room - a 180cmx70cm enclosure, similar in design to this one from Manor Pets Housing Guinea Pig Enclosure | Guinea Pigs | Rabbit Enrichment Hides | Manor Pet Housing, but on 70cm high legs. Pros - natural light, easy to see and clean out, future option to expand to a run using the Runaround system (see, I've really been overthinking this). Cons - noise, need a lid so no hay runs

Option 2 - under the stairs - an open area used for coats and storage just now - gives a 175cmx85cm area, some sort of plexi-glass gates forming a 75cm high barrier. Pros - self-contained, bit quieter than the living room, more options for a higher second level, less expensive than first option. Cons: some natural light but definitely a bit shady, bit more difficult to access the pigs and clean them out.

Thanks in advance - my version of 'keeping it short' is War and Peace!

Thanks very much - I think you are right about the living room - easy cleaning and lots of light are both big pluses.

If it were me, I wouldn't put it in the living room. I'm really into interior design and cages aren't the prettiest things. Also, it'll smell.

Without wanting to offend anyone, I am coming from the same place Gia about cages, but I thought that the Manor Pets Housing stuff looked clean, simple and well-made, and the quote is less than some other options I've been looking at i.e. insulating a bike shed.

IMG_0293.JPG I would choose the living room. The cage won't smell if you keep it clean, and keep hay off the floor.

What kind of lid are you planning to add? I wouldn't choose something that would block the air flow.

The cage can be part of your interior design.

View attachment 67958 I would choose the living room. The cage won't smell if you keep it clean, and keep hay off the floor.

What kind of lid are you planning to add? I wouldn't choose something that would block the air flow.

The cage can be part of your interior design.

Thanks very much for posting that Lissie - your set up looks great. Is that two separate enclosures or is there a ramp?

Yes that's the kind of thing I've got in mind. The lid will be a wooden frame with mesh, and can be folded back, so air flow will be fine.

You're very welcome!

That's two separate cages.

Each cage held a pair of pigs. The cage was 8 feet x 30 inches. I no longer use those cages. After moving, I didn't have space to put it.

This is what I have now. It's about 7 ft x 3 ft
4a52e983bd3d8c224ad24d56909e3e26.jpg

Bearing in mind how much cleaning out there is to do, personally I'd choose any option that makes cleaning out easier. So for me, I'd choose the living room. it's also better ventilated. And that's important to consider, too, in terms of aroma in the house. Good luck.

That's a great use of space Lissie.
Thanks VickiA. Living room has won the day, I'm currently trying to pick out Ziggy's Piggies fleece colours to match my curtains. :lose: Poor piggies lol.

My pigs are in the living room. They are horrific for the decor. The large C&C cage is in the middle of the floor because there is nowhere else. They came in here temporarily whilst we did some work in the playroom they lived in before and they utterly stole our hearts. Noise is not intrusive, it's funny, it's only zoomies that are noisy, most of the time they are napping.

I'd rather they looked tidier. I'd rather they didn't flick poo in the carpet. But I love them being there.

That's the main thing, Tigermoth. And I'm always amazing by the number of poos but at least they are very easy to sweep up!

Back