• PLEASE NOTE - the TEAS facebook page has been hacked, take extreme care when visiting the page, for further information visit here
  • Discussions taking place within this forum are intended for the purpose of assisting you in discussing options with your vet. Any other use of advice given here is done so at your risk, is solely your responsibility and not that of this forum or its owner. Before posting it is your responsibility you abide by this Statement

Lloyd Is Off His Food, Down In The Dumps, Has Tiny Poops And A Lump...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Carrotyd

Junior Guinea Pig
Reaction score
Hello all. Long time, no speak, and I'm sorry it's under such gutting circumstances. My two-year-old boar, Lloyd (who lives with his brother Harry), has become a bit down in the dumps the past couple of days and lost interest in his food, unless you sit with him on your lap and feed it to him. His poop has also changed in consistency into long, skinny, dry lumps.

Took him to our wonderful guinea pig savvy vet who gave him the once over, and found a barely perceptible lump on his left side, before his hind leg. She said the location means it's likely to be intestinal, and she's going to call us tomorrow to book him in for an ultrasound next week.

In the mean time, she's packed me off with some Metacam (Loxicom), some Ranitidine and a couple of pouches of Critical Care. Absolutely gutted for the little guy. :(

Hello all. Long time, no speak, and I'm sorry it's under such gutting circumstances. My two-year-old boar, Lloyd (who lives with his brother Harry), has become a bit down in the dumps the past couple of days and lost interest in his food, unless you sit with him on your lap and feed it to him. His poop has also changed in consistency into long, skinny, dry lumps.

Took him to our wonderful guinea pig savvy vet who gave him the once over, and found a barely perceptible lump on his left side, before his hind leg. She said the location means it's likely to be intestinal, and she's going to call us tomorrow to book him in for an ultrasound next week.

In the mean time, she's packed me off with some Metacam (Loxicom), some Ranitidine and a couple of pouches of Critical Care. Absolutely gutted for the little guy. :(

I am very sorry - that is not the kind of news you want to start the new year with! :(

Here is our syringe feeding guide. You have to adjust the frequency to the amount you get into him with each feed. Please also syringe water. Make sure that you are not feeding more than goes into the mouth if he is not taking it from the syringe on his own (0.3-0.5 ml). If he is not keen on Critical Care, try mixing it with some mushed up pellets to cover the taste.
Complete Syringe Feeding Guide

Poor little man! Sending lots of healing vibes and big hugs!

Thank you, Wiebke. That is very useful. I'll read up on it now. Appreciate the healing vibes too, Flutterby x

Welcome to the forum. So sorry Lloyd is unwell, sending hime healing vibes hope he feels better soon.

Thank you, @Wiebke for pointing me in the direction of the syringe feeding guide - it has proved invaluable reading over the past few days.

Took him back to the vets today, and he's not really improved, but - as a result of the syringe feeding - his weight has remained constant, which should hopefully stand him in good stead for any follow-on treatment he needs.

He's booked in for an ultrasound on Thursday, to ascertain what the lump on the left side of his abdomen in, which seems to be the major cause of his discomfort. Depending on the outcome of that, he could be operated on the same day or next Tuesday (because that's the only days the practice's guinea pig surgeon is around).

Thank you, @Wiebke for pointing me in the direction of the syringe feeding guide - it has proved invaluable reading over the past few days.

Took him back to the vets today, and he's not really improved, but - as a result of the syringe feeding - his weight has remained constant, which should hopefully stand him in good stead for any follow-on treatment he needs.

He's booked in for an ultrasound on Thursday, to ascertain what the lump on the left side of his abdomen in, which seems to be the major cause of his discomfort. Depending on the outcome of that, he could be operated on the same day or next Tuesday (because that's the only days the practice's guinea pig surgeon is around).

Fingers very firmly crossed for your poorly boy!

My heart is breaking writing this, but Lloyd passed away in the early hours of of this morning.

I went to give him is 4pm feed, and he was really floppy, unresponsive, panting heavily and his stomach was distended. We rushed him to the vet, who listened to his abdomen and said it was there was fluid in his stomach cavity, caused either by the mass in his stomach rupturing or through a secondary infection, which was putting pressure on his lungs.

She injected him with pain-relief and a big dose of anti-biotics (in an attempt to clear the infection), having given us the option to have him put to sleep right there and then. Either way, the prognosis wasn't looking good, but we felt like we owed it to him and Harry (his cage-mate) to give him another chance.

We took him home, gave him loads of cuddles and made him as comfortable as we possibly could, before he eventually passed a few hours later. Absolutely gutted.

My heart is breaking writing this, but Lloyd passed away in the early hours of of this morning.

I went to give him is 4pm feed, and he was really floppy, unresponsive, panting heavily and his stomach was distended. We rushed him to the vet, who listened to his abdomen and said it was there was fluid in his stomach cavity, caused either by the mass in his stomach rupturing or through a secondary infection, which was putting pressure on his lungs.

She injected him with pain-relief and a big dose of anti-biotics (in an attempt to clear the infection), having given us the option to have him put to sleep right there and then. Either way, the prognosis wasn't looking good, but we felt like we owed it to him and Harry (his cage-mate) to give him another chance.

We took him home, gave him loads of cuddles and made him as comfortable as we possibly could, before he eventually passed a few hours later. Absolutely gutted.

BIG HUGS

I am very sorry. Internal growths are one of those diagnoses we all fear to come up against. You did for Lloyd what you could.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back